Which 'Nav' way to go? Stock, After, or Portable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just searched threds and cannot seem to find the answer. Tossing around addding navigation to the Yuk, but do I spend on stock, aftermarket, or portable? I don't need this in my other cars as they already have factory nav. Pros and Cons? I'm leaning toward stock, but am guessing aftermarket might be cheaper with better resolution. Thoughts? ...and thanks for helping a noob!

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love aftermarket radios, but they will never looks stock because these trucks have oversized hole in dash.

You will need all kinds of harness and adapters to get everything working.

I will be going after market soon.

TN Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just searched threds and cannot seem to find the answer. Tossing around addding navigation to the Yuk, but do I spend on stock, aftermarket, or portable? I don't need this in my other cars as they already have factory nav. Pros and Cons? I'm leaning toward stock, but am guessing aftermarket might be cheaper with better resolution. Thoughts? ...and thanks for helping a noob!

Welcome noob!

I just went thought the same dilemma, my new Tahoe came with the factory top of the line Bose system but less NAV. That was one of the options I wanted but the Dealer didn't have the color and other features in a new Tahoe at the time with navigation. After looking at aftermarket and then comparing as to what I would get with the Factory unit, I had the GM factory navigation system put in with the DVD movie option.

Here some of the things I think you might consider on getting the factory NAV unit.

1. It ties in with your Onstar so when traveling you can pull up restaurants, fuel stations or retail stores that appear on your route and at one touch of a call button on the screen place a call to that establishment.
2. It is linked to your onboard computer so it is also linked to your fuel level and gives you options for fill up on your route when fuel levels are low.
3. The Voice command system is linked with Onstar, radio and Navigation controls which all work very well.
4. I like the layout of the radio information with XM categories.

I'm not sure how much of this will work with aftermarket unit if any but I was pleased with the factory look and options so I figured it was worth the extra bucks to go with the factory version vs cheaper aftermarket.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GREAT Information! Thank you for providing the details. Now let's see what size jar of Vaseline I need to bring with me to the dealer... :eek:

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GREAT Information! Thank you for providing the details. Now let's see what size jar of Vaseline I need to bring with me to the dealer... :eek:

vaseline.jpg

kbredtahoe07

Reaction score
Before dishing out the $$ to the Dealer for a new Nav system try going onto ebay and getting one at the auction price... but 1st make sure that your dealer will be willing to install it for you... I had my original dealer tell me that it couldn't be done, but then I called another dealer and they was willing to do in the install. I ended up spending 1/2 the amount on one directly from the dealer.