Installing Amplifier and Subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c00lkatz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a friend with a 2004 Tahoe for whom I'm trying to install an amp and sub. He does not have a stock amplified system, navigation, DVD, etc. etc. He just has the stock CD player and speakers. The only problem I'm having is with the remote turn-on wire. I tapped into the stock amp turn-on wire (small orange wire) on the head unit wiring harness, but it didn't work, and I have no idea where else I could tap into. I read that you can use a relay with pin 87 getting constant 12V, pin 86 12V ground, pin 30 12V output (I'm assuming this is where the remote signal would come from going to the amp), and pin 85 low current 12V input from the HU. Can I use the stock amp turn-on wire (small orange wire) that I previously attempted to tap into for this low-current wire? Will this work, or is there another wire I can tap into to get the remote turn-on signal? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it 'should' work. All it needs is a signal to tell the amplifier to come on. The of course a solid ground and power wire. Not sure what the HU is, but you may need a low line converter.

jersey250

Reaction score
use the pink wire under the dash in the column harness thats what I used and be sure to fuse it

Z71Heat

Reaction score
If I can remember right I had to splice the "turn-on wire" from the amplifier 3 ways at the harness. Solder the amp turn on wire together with the stock harness turn on wire cut in 2.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
03-up GM trucks w/ Class II databus systems do not have an acc wire to tie into at the HU. You can grab acc. at the brown wire under the dash to the left of the steering column.