Adding subs to the stock system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RocketManDan

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I could hook my amp up to the stock cd player? Is there some kind of adapter I might be needing?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need to get a line output converter and wire it to your stock subwoofer which is under the center console on 03+ and on the driver's rear subwoofer housing on the 00-02s.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year? All the trucks have a stock subwoofer even if you can't tell (bose=garbage).

jneal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey boost (or anyone), i have an 02, non bose, with rear sub, a LOC and i'm trying to decide where to put the LOC. I pulled all the trim out from in front of the stock sub expecting to see an amp. it was not there.
did you tap into the sub wires right there or did you tap into it prior to an amp somewhere? I wanted to get an unfiltered source but I dont even know if there is a stock sub amp if I dont have a bose system.

cashmoneyridin

Reaction score
you do not need to hook anything up to your stock subwoofer with the boose system. im not saying that you can not do it that way but it is not a must. i have three type Rs bumping along with my boose system and never had to touch the stock amp or sub. just wire it as you would any other system to any other car. have you kept your stock head unit in with 6 disc changer or swapped for an aftermarket head unit?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tapped right at the subwoofer wire, there is a remote wire back there you can tee off as well but I don't remember which one it was. Just have the key in the accessory position and have someone cycle it on and off while you test the harness pins with a testlight. Took me about 1/2 hr to wire up my loc after that. I also extended the leads to the loc so I could stash it up towards the front of the trim panel toward the driver. I'd take pics but I just had it removed to troubleshoot a bad amp and I really don't like taking that sh*t apart.

tribalbreak

Reaction score
ok so im lost... im new to these trucks but have been doing systems for a while. i have an 03 denali and it has the bose, 6disck and the nav screen. all i want to do is add an amp and subs to the back. now i know i run the power and ground as normal for the amp... where do i connect the rcas at? does this factory system have rca out puts or do i need a line out connector? if i need a loc, where is it located at in this particular truck (ive found that the yukons and the denalis have stupid suttle differances)... and where should i pick up a remote wire? sorry for the book guys im just curious because i also happen to have 2 12's laying around along with my HID's that are wrong (thanks boost) haha

djxristos88

Reaction score
ok to all of you i have an o3 tahoe with pioneer d3 nav unit 2 12" type R's and amped speakers with the factory bose system. i have done quite a few installs (hundreds) and there is a few different ways to go about this but i need info from whoever needs help if you still need help.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to run a FUSED heavy gauge B+ line from the battery to the rear of the truck where the amp is going then it will be just as easy to pull the factory head unit and get the trigger and ‘unfiltered’ signal for the line output converter from there. Then run them all back together.
If you pull the factory sub out, there is ample space for a large amp and it will be completely hidden and not overheat because the 8 inch factory grill in that panel is slotted to allow for plenty of fresh air.
I can add some pics tonight if anyone would like to see the during and after effect. I would also strongly recommend getting a stiffening cap so your lights do not dim when you are cranking it hard. And yes I have done the big 3……

Looks something like this.......
http://beasonfamily.com/images/BigDToys/DSC03339.JPG

http://beasonfamily.com/images/BigDToys/DSC03343.JPG

Last edited: