No power to AC compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95 T-HOE LS

Reaction score
OK, so my 95 Tahoe AC wasn't working again this spring as usual, it usually takes a can or 2 each year since I have a small leak somewhere.
BUT....after starting to add R-134a, I noticed the compressor wasn't cycling. :eek:

After doing some electrical detective work, I found that no power was getting to the compressor. All fuses are good, and I had my Master Electrician Dad-in-Law check the relay(which is switching properly with power to that half of the relay), and it was good as well. There is good wiring from the relay to the compressor, but whatever sends power into the relay to power the compressor isn't getting it there.

My questions are:
1) Does anyone know where power to the relay is fed from? I'm assuming there is some sort of sensor since the compressor usually cycles at different refrigerant pressures.

2) Can anyone point me in the direction of schematics that show the entire truck? The crappy Chilton book I have DOES NOT include the climate controls or the AC system in its wiring diagrams.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. We need to get one more summer out of this old vehicle, and I don't want to spend big bucks at a shop to have it diagnosed and fixed.

I should mention that I did put a temporary fused jumper to the relay, and that the AC system does work (with the jumper only) now that I properly charged it.

Thanks for any help or ideas.