Is it just me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCSUV

Reaction score
New member, first post, although I hang out on the Corvette Forum, C6 section on a regular basis. I just picked up my new Denali two days ago. Is it just me or does anyone else find the instruments hard to read unless the parking or headlamps are on? The background is black, needles red and numbers white. The instrument panel surrounding the gauges is also the same black so the dials don't stand out from the surrounding panel. On a rainy and cloudy day (like yesterday) the guages are very difficult to read without turning on the lights to activate the backlighting. My Vette and my wife's new Acura guages are backlit all the time and they are very easy to read. Is there a way to backlight the guages without turning on the lights? If not, how could they have missed this one? Anybody who would drive this truck on a cloudy day would notice this immediately! Is there any way to retro mod the backlighting so it is on when the ignition is on?

One other question. The knob that adjusts the instrument panel brightness can be pushed in and it locks in that position. One more push and it pops back out. I read the manual from start to finish and find no mention of what this is supposed to accomplish. Any clues on this?

Thanks in advance for any clues or comments. Oh, by the way, I'm 99.99% pleased with my new truck. My Expedition was nice but not in the same league!

basecorvette

Reaction score
Hello GMCSUV-
I have had no trouble reading my gauges. White letters on a black background are said to be the easiest color scheme to read. I agree backlit all the time would be better

As for the push out knob, my 04 Trailblazer also had this. It is just a hide away button. Push it, set it where you want it, and push it to hide it. I have never seen any real functionality come out of it.

How do you like your C6? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

GMCSUV

Reaction score
basecorvette said:
Hello GMCSUV-
I have had no trouble reading my gauges. White letters on a black background are said to be the easiest color scheme to read. I agree backlit all the time would be better

As for the push out knob, my 04 Trailblazer also had this. It is just a hide away button. Push it, set it where you want it, and push it to hide it. I have never seen any real functionality come out of it.

How do you like your C6? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.
Thanks for the response. You've solved the brightness knob mystery. Maybe my eyes are going and I'm just finding out but on the way into my office this morning it was overcast but not gloomy and I could barely read the oil pressure guage. Maybe it is just me!

The C6 is the best Corvette I've ever owned. More smiles-per-gallon than I could have ever imagined. A 6spd. Z51 go fast hot rod that is just too much fun to drive. Unfortunately I'll have to lay it up till March in a few weeks as I live in Michigan and you know what that means.

The Denali is awesome. I ordered it without a test drive based on the reviews. They were'nt lying. I suppose the next time I get nailed for speeding I could tell the cop I couldn't read the speedo. Maybe I could wear a miner's hat with the light on the front or better yet just try to open my eyes wider.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
GMCSUV said:
Thanks for the response. You've solved the brightness knob mystery. Maybe my eyes are going and I'm just finding out but on the way into my office this morning it was overcast but not gloomy and I could barely read the oil pressure guage. Maybe it is just me!

The C6 is the best Corvette I've ever owned. More smiles-per-gallon than I could have ever imagined. A 6spd. Z51 go fast hot rod that is just too much fun to drive. Unfortunately I'll have to lay it up till March in a few weeks as I live in Michigan and you know what that means.

The Denali is awesome. I ordered it without a test drive based on the reviews. They were'nt lying. I suppose the next time I get nailed for speeding I could tell the cop I couldn't read the speedo. Maybe I could wear a miner's hat with the light on the front or better yet just try to open my eyes wider.[/QUO
That won't work, I just got a ticket and I was 10 over the limit. I got nailed going up a hill.

Captjreed

Reaction score
I agree. Certain daytime conditions make it hard to see the dials. Do n't have an answer for the fix

doo600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMCSUV said:
New member, first post, although I hang out on the Corvette Forum, C6 section on a regular basis. I just picked up my new Denali two days ago. Is it just me or does anyone else find the instruments hard to read unless the parking or headlamps are on? The background is black, needles red and numbers white. The instrument panel surrounding the gauges is also the same black so the dials don't stand out from the surrounding panel. On a rainy and cloudy day (like yesterday) the guages are very difficult to read without turning on the lights to activate the backlighting. My Vette and my wife's new Acura guages are backlit all the time and they are very easy to read. Is there a way to backlight the guages without turning on the lights? If not, how could they have missed this one? Anybody who would drive this truck on a cloudy day would notice this immediately! Is there any way to retro mod the backlighting so it is on when the ignition is on?

One other question. The knob that adjusts the instrument panel brightness can be pushed in and it locks in that position. One more push and it pops back out. I read the manual from start to finish and find no mention of what this is supposed to accomplish. Any clues on this?

Thanks in advance for any clues or comments. Oh, by the way, I'm 99.99% pleased with my new truck. My Expedition was nice but not in the same league!

You should try Corvette Forum Off Topic. It's a little crazy but fun.

Captjreed

Reaction score
I have the same issue with not being able to read the dial under certain conditions. I turned the light(s) knob one click to the right (Headlights manual on I think and it turned the backlight of the dash on I and I sould read it fine. Bad thing is then you have to switch it back to Auto when you get out. Post if you figure anything else about it as will I.

GMCSUV

Reaction score
Captjreed said:
I have the same issue with not being able to read the dial under certain conditions. I turned the light(s) knob one click to the right (Headlights manual on I think and it turned the backlight of the dash on I and I sould read it fine. Bad thing is then you have to switch it back to Auto when you get out. Post if you figure anything else about it as will I.
OK, so my eyes are not fading out after all. Thanks for confirming my opinion. I too find my self turning on the parking lights to light up the dials but then have to remember to turn them off. Somebody dropped the ball here. Instruments should be readable easily without resorting to turning the lights on in the daytime. How hard do you think it would be to wire the instrument lighting to stay on with the ignition. Anybody have any thoughts on this?