Installing Torsion Keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm no stranger to lowering vehicles, but this will be my first time installing keys. What exactly is involved in doing this and is there anything I should be on the lookout for? The rear springs should be a breeze, but I'm just a little concerned about the keys since I've never done anything like that before.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing is safety. The torsion bars are very powerful springs, and you need to use either a good quality 7-ton gear puller, or, ideally, the actual GM torsion bar removal tool to take the tension off of the keys. If you're using the gear puller, DO NOT use the 5-ton version - it's not strong enough and it has broken on several members of another forum. You really, really don't want one of those torsion bars unloading all at once with your hand nearby, which is exactly what will happen if you half-ass the recommended tools.

Also, and I'm sure you know this, but use a good floor jack and a minimum of two jack stands.

Here's a link from FullSizeChevy.com:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums...keys-torsion-bar-cranking-replacing-tech.html

Good luck, let us know if you have any other questions.

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take your time and think about what you are doing before you do it. Yuk2k is right, you don't want to get caught being careless with the torsion bars. Just be careful and its a piece of cake. I used the 2/3 jaw gear puller from the Auto Zone loaner tool program. I don't know if it was 5 or 7 ton, but it worked perfect. It was like it was specifically designed to remove the keys on the Hoes and Kons. I have heard people say it was dangerous, but it felt totally safe to me. It took about 45 minutes to knock out the front end - soup to nuts.

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you live and where you take it to..

I lowered mine 3 in front 5 in rear. I installed the front spindles and rear springs/shock extenders and to get 3" in front the kit came with torsion keys. I knew right off the bat I was going to need an alignment so I went to the alignment shop and the guy there installed them for me for an extra $20 on top of the alignment.

As safe as it gets for me..

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...the guy there installed them for me for an extra $20 on top of the alignment.

DAMN, only $20 for the install? I need to find a deal like that around here! That would be a $20 well spent in my case. I don't mind doing things myself, but thats a nice deal.