Rear Speakers not working??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klennop

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a 99 Tahoe 4 door, and I noticed that the roof speakers in the rear don't work. I am not that familiar with all the options with Tahoes/Yukons but I am also not an idiot with car audio. Are the speakers in the back only an option that the Bose stereos had? My truck seems pretty loaded up but my speakers and deck don't say Bose anywhere on them so I am assuming I don't have them.

I understand after browsing some more on this forum that there is a factory amp that powers the rear speakers in the rear doors but my rear doors are working fine. I haven't looked for the amp to see if I have one. I am wondering if the POS OEM headunit is junk or??

Can I just pull off those rear roof mounted grills off or is there a trick to pull them off? I want to see if there are even speakers in there? I am wondering if at some point this truck had an aftermarket headunit and they just ditched the 4X7's??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful pulling the grills down this is the only way to get to the spkrs.

you have to pull them to you so they will bend in the middle . when you see the tabs
on one end of the grill pull it down and you will see the spkrs.

install in reverse. theres no amp to them only to the doors

klennop

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on taking the grills off.

Any idea why they would not be working in the first place?

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the way to find out take the grilles off ,take the spkrs down ,unhook the plug,
get a test spkr,turn the radio on put some wire in the plug then to the test spkr

see if it play. if it don't might be the radio. take them 4x10's and hook them up to your
house radio just to see if they play.

pull the radio out any way to see if the wires been cut ,,,,,,, maby someone did some wire slicing and didn't wire every thing back. only if all fails above!!!!!!!!

slicin

the goose

Reaction score
more than likely those speakers are probably blown. they are usually the first to go. I would take the back speakers out and ohm them out on a meter, they should read 4 ohms if anything lower than 4 ther prolly blown. Or its possible that the rear channels in the factory radio could be not working.