Advantage of new head unit over stock??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToddEdge

Reaction score
I just bought a '02 Tahoe Z71 and it has the factory head unit right now. I know I want to upgrade all the door speakers and add a sub but, can't decide on the head unit. My installer states the new head unit provides much better and greater power to the speakers and amp.

If I change out the head unit for aftermarket, what are people doing with the tape deck? Is there a cover plate or somethign to hide the old tape player that will no longer work?

Thanks,
Todd

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2561386745_d0b50bc3a7.jpg

This is a pic from my 03. If your talking about at the bottom I'm pretty sure u can get the lil cubby from a dealer or what not to install. then you can have some storage space.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
With an aftermarket hu, you add flexibility and a good starting point for better sound quality. Depending on the unit, you have the ability to seamlessly integrate other audio sources such as Ipod, USB, satellite radio, HD radio, aux inputs for MP3 players and a/v. Even without adding amps, you get better sound quality and more volume with less distortion. Good aftermarket decks will have a much better built-in mosfet ic than stock units. Plus you'll have more control over equalization with most aftermarket decks.
As for the location of the stock tape deck, I removed mine and completely fabbed up a new piece with an 8" monitor in its place.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket is 100x better than this factory crap, my bose won't get near loud enough and even with the bass 1/4 of the way up it still sounds weak even with infinity 6.5's up front. The adjustment for eq along with the addition of preouts makes adding amplifiers much easier and drastically increases the sound quality, I can't wait to hear my L7 once I get a decent alpine.

Jerome A Franks

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting another radio myself but I hate the budge of an aftermarket radio. I guess I like that flush look for my stock radio

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting another radio myself but I hate the budge of an aftermarket radio. I guess I like that flush look for my stock radio

Just put one in sit back close your eyes and have a listen...lol

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Then spend a stack and get a Navigation or a dvd unit. Then it'll look more flush.