Skyjacker shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy just bought a set of Skyjacker shocks for his Avalanche, but decided to leave his stock Bilsteins on it instead. He paid around $145 for them, but will give them to me for $100 flat. The rears are p/n H7017 for a 1.5" lift, so they will fit just fine with the 1.5" spacers I want to add. The fronts are p/n H7003 though, which is for a 3" lift. I'm only doing torsion keys in the front, so I'm thinking that the most lift I'll get out of that is about 2"

If I'm running those shocks with 1" less lift than what they are calibrated for, how likely is it that I'll bottom them out? It's a pretty decent deal for 4 brand new shocks, but not if it's going to cause more harm than good. I'm 99% highway...I hardly ever go offroad, although I might consider it a little more once I get my lift and tires done. :cool:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check the part #'s tomorrow at work, the rears should be fine but the fronts are a bitch to speck out for these trucks due to the limited travel and short lengths.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check the part #'s tomorrow at work, the rears should be fine but the fronts are a bitch to speck out for these trucks due to the limited travel and short lengths.

Thanks Boost. Skyjacker seems a little wierd, I went on the 4wp website, and they apparently make the H7003's for a 3" lift, and H7009 for a 1" lift, but not a damn thing is listed for a 2" lift. So, either I'm going with a shock that's too long or too short for what I want to do. But, for the price, I guess I'm not going to complain as long as it's not going to mess the shock up.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think cost is around $25/shock anyway, I'll see if they'll work for ya.

Cool man, thanks. Side question - do you know of anyone that makes coil spacers bigger than 1.5"? My buddy with the Av just bought 3" spacers for his truck, it looks tough. I can't find anything bigger than 1.5" for my Yuke though.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your only cranking the torsion bars to get lift out of the front you dont want any shocks that are made for lifted applications. Torsion bar cranking doesnt pull the shock out at all, unlike a full drop lift or spindle lift would do. Infact puting a 3 in. lift shock in there will be way to big and over compress the shock. Just upgrade the front shocks but stay with the stock size, as for the rear that will work out just fine.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need longer shocks when doing a tbar crank, the distance between the shock mounts increase whenever you lift a truck. Those part #s are kinda goofy dude, the specs on the shocks are
H7003: 18.5" extended/12.25 compressed
H7009: 15.35 extended/10.33 compressed
I think he has the incorrect shocks, the 7009 may fit up front but an 18.5" shock is too long for the front (he bought stock application and 4" lifted application front shocks but no rears). If they're still in the box with all the parts just buy them and I can swap out the rears for the correct shocks (you need H7017's for the back).

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boost, the set he has does include the H7017s for the rear, and H7003s for the front. In my second post I think I referenced some part numbers off of the 4wp website that might have been wrong. But yeah, H7017s and H7003s are what he's offering me - sorry for any confusion there. So, those shocks would work?

Chevy, as for not needing longer shocks if you just crank the t-bars, that's not correct. Boost already covered this, but any time you lift a truck, you're extending the shock. Go too high with the stockers, and you'll run out of travel pretty quick - and eventually trash your shocks.

I'm not just cranking the bars though, I'm adding different keys altogether which will give me about 2" of lift. I figure running a 3" lift shock on 2" of actual lift will be within the realm of safe operation since I don't offroad my rig presently, but then again, I'd rather ask my local guru (Boost) than buy these shocks off the cuff with no info and be out $100.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need longer shocks when doing a tbar crank, the distance between the shock mounts increase whenever you lift a truck. Those part #s are kinda goofy dude, the specs on the shocks are
H7003: 18.5" extended/12.25 compressed
H7009: 15.35 extended/10.33 compressed
I think he has the incorrect shocks, the 7009 may fit up front but an 18.5" shock is too long for the front (he bought stock application and 4" lifted application front shocks but no rears). If they're still in the box with all the parts just buy them and I can swap out the rears for the correct shocks (you need H7017's for the back).

I have my torsion bars cranked and ordered Rancho shocks for 2.5 in. of lift, after getting them in they were almost 2/3 compressed past normal. When you crank the T bars you just changing the angles of your control arms (which is why its not recommended, along with substantial T bar fatique) not actually increasing the distance between the mounts, i have a 99' which may be different than the 2000 body style, but from personal experience i know the distance is not increased at all. MAYBE 1/2 in. Again if it is different from year to year my bad, but i know for my 99' i just did my shocks and made the mistake of ordering ones too long.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah 2.5" longer shock is a nono on these trucks with a 2.5" lift, you only need about 1/4-1/2" longer shock for every inch of crank but it varies depending on truck and application. The shocks on my bro's dmax were 1 1/4" longer than stock and were perfect for the 2.5" of lift from new keys. There really isn't a correct formula for calculating the lengths unless you completely remove the shocks and flex the truck out...then measure the mounting points and you're golden.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea thats exactly what i was trying to say, atleast i know i havent gone crazy yet. Thats why i was also saying around 1/2 in. because looking at my old shock you can see that the old boot is only extended roughly 3/4 of an in. to an inch. But hey Yuke if you want two adjustable Rancho shocks that wont fit your truck for a hell of a deal come to me. :smilielol:

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But hey Yuke if you want two adjustable Rancho shocks that wont fit your truck for a hell of a deal come to me. :smilielol:

LOL yeah, then I'd have a set of Ranchos AND a set of Skyjackers too effin' long for what I'm trying to do here! :smilelol:

So whats the word Boost...obviously I can't use the H7003s because they are too long, so if I were to buy these skyjackers and they come with all of the hardware and whatnot, can you swap out the H7003s for some H7009s? Those are the ones that are set for 1" of lift, and I think they'd probably work out alot better.