Question: Installed a new Nav unit in my 07 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just completed installing a brand new nav unit in my ''07 LTZ and everything works, however, even though the unit was new and unlocked, shouldn't I still have my dealer reprogram the computer? The reason I ask, is because when I push the "voice" button, it goes right to the Onstar options, rather then the 'one beep' for the Nav voice recognition. It seems as though this would be required, because how else would the truck know that it now has the voice ready nav unit installed? BTW, i did use the VSS and Voice harness for the install. TIA

Grounded

Reaction score
So you are pushing the button and holding until the beep, but instead of the beep it goes straight to onstar?

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you are pushing the button and holding until the beep, but instead of the beep it goes straight to onstar?

That's correct... I am now using a plug in the back of the onstar box that wasn't being used before.

Grounded

Reaction score
OK do you have a Nav Disc installed? If not Voice wont work

2-3 wire plug from VCIM J3 (module under the Nav)

VCIM Pin 2 goes to pin 4(c1) at Nav
VCIM Pin 4 goes to pin 5(c1) at Nav
VCIM Pin 5 (if 3 wire) is a blunt cut drain wire

If this is all correct try this:

Goto Nav, address book, stored entry, add voice prompt
What happens?

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK do you have a Nav Disc installed? If not Voice wont work

2-3 wire plug from VCIM J3 (module under the Nav)

VCIM Pin 2 goes to pin 4(c1) at Nav
VCIM Pin 4 goes to pin 5(c1) at Nav
VCIM Pin 5 (if 3 wire) is a blunt cut drain wire

If this is all correct try this:

Goto Nav, address book, stored entry, add voice prompt
What happens?

Still nothing...It goes directly to Onstar. Just so you know, I'm trying to activate the Voice reconigtion option of the radio. When inputing an address and using as a destination, the 'turn by turn' voice works just fine. I want to be able to say "navition"... "FM Radio" "DVD", etc. and have it switch to that function --The Hands free stuff. I'm sure I'll hardly ever use it, but i want to make sure everyting is connected correctly and everything functions how it's supposed to.

I know the connections are correct. I used a harness that had a plug for the Onstar end and I connected the two wires into the Nav, which the nav plug is already numbered, so it's pretty tough to get it wrong. I'll double check the nav pin inputs to make sure I've got the correct ones going to Pin 4 & 5. However, I'm leaning towards the truck being relearned/programmed for this function to work.

Grounded

Reaction score
It just might have to be reprogrammed. I installed my nav(used) over a year ago. I just wired in the harness for the voice feature earlier this week. It worked first try. I had to make the harness because JP didn't have the plug for the VCIM back then. I was lucky and found the part number and got one from the dealer and just added the wires after tons of research. I didn't have to get the unit reprogrammed again but I dont know if they unlocked it the first time or if there able to unlock that feature.

Im well aware of what your trying to do.

"When you push the add voice tag button it shouldn't go to Onstar, it should say "Name Please". If it cant here you then it would say "No Speech Detected, please try again."

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im well aware of what your trying to do.

"When you push the add voice tag button it shouldn't go to Onstar, it should say "Name Please". If it cant here you then it would say "No Speech Detected, please try again."

Nope, it goes directly to onstar... I will swing in and ask my dealer about it. I really don't want to have it reprogrammed if it's not necessary. Thanks.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you do have the voice prompts on in the menu?

well, i just got a copy of the Nav manual and I haven't checked. I know I have the turn by turn voice prompt turned on...I'm assuming this is different from the voice prompt? I'll have to check.