questions regarding ipod videos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s2jay

Reaction score
is there a way to play ipod videos (music videos/movies) on the front/rear dvd/screens?

im using a newer video ipod and i see the movie on the ipod itself and i hear the audio through the speakers but have no visual on the screen?

could it be done with an ipod lockpick? is it in the settings of the ipod? as of now im connected to the ipod using audio/video cables connected to the rear passenger entertainment....

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a setting to output the video on the ipod that must be on. How are you connect to the Ipod? Through the ipod connection(big square connector) or through the 3.5mm(headphone jack)

slant911

Reaction score
Can't you connect via the RCA jacks in the back as an "aux" input?

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could, then you just need to control everything via the ipod itself.

PMD GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

randyp

Reaction score
is there a way to play ipod videos (music videos/movies) on the front/rear dvd/screens?

im using a newer video ipod and i see the movie on the ipod itself and i hear the audio through the speakers but have no visual on the screen?

could it be done with an ipod lockpick? is it in the settings of the ipod? as of now im connected to the ipod using audio/video cables connected to the rear passenger entertainment....

The new ipods do not play video out the 3.5mm jack. I'm not sure what is needed to do so.
On a side note, you can not rent a movie from ITUNES with the older IPOD's (5G) because you can output the content and copy it. Therefore, to ensure content security the newer IPODs don't allow video out the headphone jack.

I have a 5G ipod and they do play video out the headphone jack however Apple pulled a fast one. The RED RCA jack plays the video and the yellow/white RCA jack are for left/right sound respectively.

I can play video on the front/rear screen with my 5G. I can play video on the front screen in motion with the Lockpick. I don't have the IPOD lockpick so I plug the IPOD into the Aux connectors.

Denali132

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 80GB iPod classic and watch videos on the front and back TV and also can watch it on the front tv while in motion because I have the GM lockpick. All you have to do is buya composite cable and that plugs into your iPod and you plug it into the A/V jacks in the 2nd row, then you play it through the AUX input and that will take care of your issues.

bmwman3241

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been playing audio from my iPod for the last year and a half from the 3.5mm jack. My car is currently at the dealers (and will be there for the next 15 days) and is going through many mods. I have installed the GMX320 Lockpick, and will be running the RCA/USB iPod video wire from apple. I am going to plug it into the GMX320 Lockpick and run the wire under the cupholders and center console and plug the usb power into the center console. Then from their take the iPod wire up and plug it into the ipod. I will take pictures once the install is done. I didn't want to have a wire dangling from the back, so that is why I am running it all under.
Use this wire
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=NTQ4OTg
Wire will pop out where the screw driver and lights are laying in this picture
IMG_0038.jpg

bmwman3241

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I was in a hurry when I wrote that ^^^^^
And now that I read it, it makes no sense. I will explain with pictures when I finish. It is the best way to have video playing on the nav screen from your ipod with no dangling wires.