Keep the Bose Deck? Anyone use Infinity 2 ohm speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TeHar1585

Reaction score
I spoke with someone a little bit more experienced with the Bose system and stereo installs. He informed me that one way to get by without removing the factory deck and losing steering wheel controls and rear controls, would be to install Infinity Kappa 2 ohm speakers to the front and back. I realize that I would likely hear much better quality from these speakers, but how much better would it be if I installed a factory head unit.

Is there a way that I can maintain all of the controls and still install an aftermarket deck? I have read bad things about adding aftermarket speakers through the Bose amp. Is there a way that I can just leave it installed and bypass the amp for my speakers? I think that I would need it working in order to still power the Bose subwoofer. Will the new speakers provide enough bass to drown out the subwoofer and allow the Bose sub to be removed?

I am somewhat inexperienced as far as installs and popping door panels, but am willing to do it if it is necessary. I am just trying to get a better range and sound without ripping apart my vehicle to do it. Not really sure if that is possible though.

Has anyone tried something similar to this? If so, how do you like it? Are the Infinity Kappa speakers what I should be looking at or is there something better such as the Reference for the money?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Ted

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sound coming out is only as good as the signal going in.

To replace the speakers would be ass backwards. An after market HU will make the Bose speakers sound better.

I guess if you like the Bose keep it. If not go nuts and replace the whole damn thing...lol

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have infinitys and will be installing an aftermarket deck with additional amps and components once I stop being lazy. The infinitys really clean up the stock stereo but you won't be happy for long, at least I'm not content with the way mine sounds.

TeHar1585

Reaction score
If Infinity's won't make me happy, then what should I be getting that will? What are you switching to to get a better sound?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Infinity's won't make me happy, then what should I be getting that will? What are you switching to to get a better sound?

The sound coming out is only as good as the signal going in.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alpine deck with high voltage preouts through an eclipse eq, amped via a kicker 350.2 to some kicker RS components. I'm not using a harness, I'll be wiring the rears off deck power until I buy components for the back. I've always overkilled wiring and it generally sounds much better, I'm not sold on this 9 speaker factory crap, I'd be happy with 2 really loud components up front and a little rear fill with plenty of bass.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take the Bose deck and throw it at passing cats!

StylerG

Reaction score
you can check out the JL audio clean-sweep it is designed to add aftermarket speakers/amps using a factory deck. Also cleans up sound and eq's everything while adding the ability to do ipod interface and some other neat things.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can check out the JL audio clean-sweep it is designed to add aftermarket speakers/amps using a factory deck. Also cleans up sound and eq's everything while adding the ability to do ipod interface and some other neat things.

The Clean Sweep only puts out a flat frequency response. Which is not user adjustable. You would have to add processing after it too for more control over the system.

The Rockford Fosgate 3 Sixty is known for its flexibility but has a slight different installation process ( Disc and some other gadget I can't recall.). I would use this based on reviews if you must retain the stock deck.

You can also look into AudioControl
http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/dept.asp?d_id=17612&l1=17612

StylerG

Reaction score
The Clean Sweep only puts out a flat frequency response. Which is not user adjustable. You would have to add processing after it too for more control over the system.

This is a very good point! The clean sweep has automatic correction (via a cd and 32 band eq) but no end user control. Thanks for catching that.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a very good point! The clean sweep has automatic correction (via a cd and 32 band eq) but no end user control. Thanks for catching that.

No prob! We've probably went beyond this guys expectations...lol