Tech 2 programming question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

senecala

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe LT2, bose speakers, no backup camera, no rear entertainment package. I recently purchased the factory navigation head unit off ebay and installed it. I did not put in the gps antenna or the vss harness yet. I mostly purchased the unit for the 3 lines of text for xm radio, although I will probably add the navigation option later. The navigation radio part # is 25857364. It stated that it was for the 2008 Chevy tahoe and had dvd playback.
The unit installed easy, powered up with theftlock on screen. I brought it too the dealership and asked them to remove the theftlock. They looked confused but said no problem. I told them I had some directions for the procedures, but they said that the guy had 30 plus years experience and said it would not be a problem. Problems noticed after install:

1. The head unit displays hybrid on it, did they make a mistake in the programming or was this unit taken out of a hybrid tahoe. The tahoe is running a little rough. Did they program the computer to make it think it is a hybrid?
2. The tech that did the install said something about programming it with a option that had united emrites on it instead of the united states. Is this because of the head unit, or did the guy just not select U.S.? (I guess a bonus to this is there a option in the menu to turn off driving restrictions).
3. There is no option for setting or displaying the time. Is this because of the hybrid option? because I do not have the gps antenna hooked up to it. I am thinking wrong software.
4. Door and ignition chimes not working. The back up senor alarm is not audible also. Did this get turned off, by selecting no back up camera?

I would very thankful if someone could post the correct options to select on the tech 2 device. I go back Thursday morning at 8am, and I would like to bring the correct settings with me.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help

Tony

senecala

Reaction score
Still need help

While I was hoping to get some input from a dealer mechanic with tech 2 experience, any input and or brainstorming would be appreciated. I will try to post some pics of some of the various screens. This is not a hybrid tahoe.

Attachments

• 0827081007.jpg
    0827081007.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 0827081009.jpg
    0827081009.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 0827081009a.jpg
    0827081009a.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 0827081009b.jpg
    0827081009b.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 19

trimcat

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue with the same unit. I just posted another thread before I scrolled down and read yours. My problems are a mirror image of yours, please let me know if you find out anything from the dealer because mine is clueless.

senecala

Reaction score
Factory NAV issues

Trimcat,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the dealer was no help again. They said without a VSI or VIN number of the vehicle that the radio was taken out of, they could not do anything.

I ordered the VSS harness and GPS antenna yesterday. Question, does your time display on the radio? I read in another forum that the time works off the GPS antenna. I am hoping that the time will display once I plug in the antenna.

As for the hybrid radio issue, I thought it might be software programming, however with you having the same problem with the same model number I guess not. I really do not mind the hybrid screen as long as it is not hurting anything. I do not want it telling my tahoe computer that it is a hybrid. I have not really noticed anything different in driving.

What about the screen for turning off the driving restrictions, does everyone have that screen? I do not know if everyone has that ability or is this because the dealer supposedly flashed it with the option for the united emirates instead of the USA. I thought you had to have the lockpick device for this?

Let me know also if you find anything else out. Other than the door chimes and the reverse park assist, it seems to be working. I am wondering if the reverse park assist is tied into the option for the rear view camera. I do not have one installed, so the dealer turned off that option. Maybe that killed the reverse chimes?

I have another dealer that I might try..
Tony

trimcat

Reaction score
senecala,

My dealer claims that with the proper TECH II program the NAV unit can be installed correctly. He told me that he had to download a specific program from someone/somewhere and for me to come back on Wednesday. I will let you know if I have any success. As for the clock, I have my GPS antenna connected and I still do not have a clock. I believe this NAV unit did come from a Hybrid Tahoe, it remains to be seen if it is exclusive to the the Hybrid. I posted this question on another Tahoe forum and someone responded back that there may be a compatibility issue with the Hybrid NAV unit and all other GM vehicles.

bmwman3241

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imported my car from the US to the UAE.
If your dealers Tech2 program is up to date, they should not have a problem picking the correct options. I had a dealer program my car (Nav, RSE, Bose) to allow the back-up camera screen to come on. When you start Tech2 after all the warnings, make sure your VIN is the one listed. Then the first question was what kind of vehicle it is. I have a 07 Yukon XL Denali, so I selected half "pound"(not sure what the weight word was) long base. Next option was select your nav. Then, I don't know if the Tahoe has Y91, but their should be about 3 choices to choose from. with Y91, without y91, and probably Hybrid. Next choice was back-up cam or no, then region settings which is 1 for US, 2 for UAE.....Then the equalizer which was basic one choice. Choose to copy new settings to TECH2 and program your car.
Everything in my car worked fine, and I chose Region 2 for UAE, even though my car was from US. Made no difference, and navigation disks still don't work.
Also, I heard that in the US, you could only choose Region 1, and the rest of the world gives the other region options.

If you knew this already, just trying to help

bmwman3241

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, senecala, how much did you pay for the nav, and could you take some pictures of the UAE option you stated in your first post. If the nav you have is for the UAE, I will trade you my US Nav with RSE for your UAE Nav. Let me know how the programming works out for you.

senecala

Reaction score
Thanks for the response 3241, I have not figured it out yet. I do not think that I have a UAE nav unit, just that the dealer mechanic selected that instead of US.
I still am trying to find out if that is why I can turn off driving restrictions and scroll during driving. To anyone that has a factory nav unit, please look at the pics I posted above, does everyone have that ability to turn off driving restrictions?
The dealer stated that there was only about 3 or 4 questions when he did the tech 2 programming. I am still wondering if turning off the rear back up camera under tech 2 disabled my reverse warning beeper, turn signal tones, etc. Also I still have no time display after installing the gps antenna and vss harness.
The person that I bought the nav unit from stated that I could exchange it for a different model number if I want. I get the nav disk in a day or two, I am going to drive it around and see if I still need to exchange it.

Can anyone tell me about the driving restrictions screen, is that normal or is it because of the UAE programming? I might keep it if it works and I do not need a lockpick device for the restrictions.

trimcat

Reaction score
Well I went back to the dealer today and they did not have any success. I am not sure if it is a hardware issue or if the techs at the dealership are morons. Because both of us are having the exact issue with the same model I am pretty sure it is a hardware issue. The part that confuses me is that before I got the "theft lock" screen removed at the dealership all of my chimes and warnings worked fine. It was not until after they programed the radio did the chimes and warnings stop working. In addition, turn by turn navigation does not work and when I leave the designated route the nav unit does not recalculate a new route (yes I connected the VSS and voice recognition harnesses). I hope you had more success then I did...