Factory speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali132

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone just replaced the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers and done nothing else? Will that make it sound better or do you need to add amps and more?
Thanks

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
It will make a slight improvement, but rather disappointing compared to the money that you'll end up spending on the speakers plus labor to install them. Even though you may get a slightly wider frequency response than the stock speakers, it will only do as good as what the source unit is capable of providing. Distortion at higher volumes will still be there because most of it comes from the source's signal, not the speakers. If you are intent on keeping the factory head unit, best bet is to spend a few more dollars on an amp and speakers and you'll be much happier with the dollar/performance ratio.
You can always go ahead and just install some new speakers, see how you like it in your opinion, and go from there. If you feel you want more, you can always add an amp.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have done this its a small improvement but now i think i want to add an amp what would be the best way to do this? I would also like a little more bass either under the rear seat replacing the front console sub or adding a factory one to the rear. What do you thinkk the best way to do this is.

Thanks

cpizzle

Reaction score
I just added a 600W 4 channel Sony amp that I picked up at the local Sony outlet for $30. (yes, I am serious)

It sounds much better than stock. I think this is the way to go to start. Next I would change the speakers. Then add a sub. I'm keeping the stock head unit so that will be the limiting factor but I don't plan on going too wild.

VEGASTAHO8

Reaction score
Ive done this exactly

I have an 08 Tahoe, I just recently had Alpine Type R speakers installed, The front components were about $250 and the rears were $150. I am keeping the stock head unit and didnt want to buy an amp. Ive ran subs for about 8 years and im tired of the long run rattling and space that they can take up. The new speakers can handle about 110 watts (rms) and the stock head unit and amp are only pushing about 15 watts to each speaker. It sounds like crap, after spending about $600 for the speakers, install and tax it was a horrible idea cause i didnt want to buy an amp. The stock speakers were sooo much louder, these new speakers can handle so much more then theyre getting so I have to get a 4 channel amp that can push at least 100 watts rms to each speaker, but when i get the amp installed this weekend it will be well worth it and i'd say a total of about $1000 for the system but thats ok cause I had the new speakers installed cause they just werent for me since im not running subs, if i was the stock speakers were fine as far as loudness and treble was concerned. If you dont want subs but you want your door speakers louder, you MUST also buy an amp!!!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added a 600W 4 channel Sony amp that I picked up at the local Sony outlet for $30. (yes, I am serious)

Wow, how'd you pull that off? Is it refurbished, damaged, discontinued? I mean if it works like it's supposed to I'd take one any day! Looking for a local Sony outlet now.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most don't realize that stock speakers are designed around the factory power and speaker location.

A big example when you replace the stocks is the noticeable loss of bass. This is because the design of the stock speaker is meant to have that output on 20 watts. Where they have bass to them they lack midrange or it sounds muffled or muddy.

The majority of aftermarket speakers be it component sets or coaxial speakers are meant to be included in a stereo system as a whole. Sub,Mid bass, mid range, and highs.

The stock design is basically a fullrange driver trying to do three of these ranges. Which isn't reproduced in great detail. Which brings you the HU.

The HU has to provide these regions of listening also. How the source unit produces these signals is a big factor. Equalization, Filters, and crossover points.