Broke a coil today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
I broke a coil spring today.... Hit this section of freeway that is a short bridge and has about 4 dips in a row. They usually cause my tires to buzz on some bolt heads inside my fenders. Today, I got the usual buzz buzz buzz buzz then BUZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Driver side coil snapped. Managed to get to the shoulder and limp it to a reasonably safe spot and called for a tow. That was tricky but we managed to do it without damaging anything (unlike last time the flatbed scrunched my valance, speedgrille and light mounts)...

I have a nice groove in the tread where that bolthead ate it up but it doesn't look deep enough to worry about replacing the tire. Good thing--these tires are only a few months old and I don't think they'd believe that this was warrantable as a "road hazard" :shhh:

Luckily we had a spare coil...long story...but if I break another, I'm gonna be left with trying to figure out how to cut down my old 3" drop coils to get it to the same/similar height it's at now, or bag it, which I just don't have the energy or time to do now.

_dennis

summer09

Reaction score
tough luck on your experience with the broken coils, good thing you didnt had any broken tires or else it will be making the situation worse...

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah coulda been much worse. good thing you got off the road safely. I think that your truck looks cool in that photo. If you do end up finding an answer to the coil question, let us know what it is.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
I did discover some damage from the tow, after all. He put those magnetic-base lights on the roof of my hoe, at the very back. The magnetic base of each light left marks in the paint, as well as 3 or 4 semi-circular scuff marks in the paint on the hood from the cable that was draped across it (he stuck it under a wiper blade to hold it down, then it ran up the windshield and down the roof to the two lights).

I tried using a light cleaner/wax compound on the scratches but they didn't come out. If the paint on my hood weren't already full of a thousand little cracks, I would have complained to the tow company, but I'm not going to sweat it.

_dennis