$$$ Lowering kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was quoted yesterday $1195.00 for a lowering kit and install on a 2000 Yukon. I wanted a 1" front and 3" rear lowering kit. They said it was an 8 hour job and the kit was $675.00

How hard is it for DIY. and also what is the average cost for this mod

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do it yourself for much less. Just do 3" springs w/ shock extenders and crank your torsion bars a bit. Very simple for the DIY'er and should cost you well under $200.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
8 hrs?!? If you're only going 1" in the front, you should be able to use your stock torsion keys and just adjust the bolts. That's 5 minutes there. Even if you did need new keys to go lower, replacing them doesn't take long. The rear will only need a new set of shorter springs and shock relocation brackets. That shouldn't take anymore than an hour, and even less for someone with experience and an air ratchet. I dropped my truck with new keys, springs, and relocation brackets just under two hours. The only way the quote and timeframe would be as high as they quoted you is if they are using a kit with either dropped spindles or control arms. But if you are only going an inch in the front, all you need to do is adjust your stock keys. And if that doesn't get you an inch, then you can install new keys and then get it re-aligned. I wouldn't spend the money on spindles or control arms unless you're planning on going a couple inches or lower in the front. You can get a decent kit with keys and springs for well under $400.

Last edited:

tann808

Reaction score
If you're paying $675 for keys and springs, you're paying too much

I paid less than that for my drop spindles and springs.

My advice, if you're going to pay for a kit and if you're going for more than a 1" front drop, I'd highly recommend a drop spindle over torsion keys but if you're going with only a 1" drop, the torsion key shouldn't be so bad.

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I sorta thought they must be trying to make up for the slow economy, personally They lost all my business. There are a couple other shops in the area.