Attention Overhead LCD Owners....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ipvfletch

Reaction score
I recently installed an overhead LCD/DVD setup (Pansonic all-in-one) unit in my '03 Tahoe. Everything works great except the dome lights.

The unit replaces the factory dome lights and has it's own integrated dome lights with 3-way selector switch.

I verified the wiring three times, already, and re-did the wiring once thinking one of my wires might be crimped poorly or else broken. There are only three wires, anyways, GROUND, POSITIVE, DOOR-SWITCHED(+).

When I open the door, I don't get the door-switched light to come on, although all the other convenient lights do come on.

When I push the 3-way selector switch to ON, it comes on, and goes off when I flip it back or off entirely.

BUT, and here's the real kicker..

Twice now, it hasn't worked AT ALL.. I was trippin out too because it just came on and then I couldn't get it to come on no matter what!!

So then on a stroke of luck, I pressed the Driver's Map Light button and AMAZINGLY it made my overhead dome light begin working again!! (It still won't come on when I open the door, though.)

So then all was fine until this morning when it didn't work again. I pressed the Driver's map light button once more and voila, the new dome light is working again (again, only if in the ON mode).

So I'm thinking there is something funky with the Tahoe dome light wiring because it doesn't make much sense that I should. I'm less worried about the light coming on when the door is opened, but really I just want to figure out why on Earth this light should be dependent upon the front dome/map light system!!!??!?

ANY IDEAS?!??!?!

ipvfletch

Reaction score
Yes, it worked like a normal 3-way dome light before the install. You didn't have to hit the map light each time in order to make the 2nd row dome light work.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without being there, my best guess would be that the new lite wiring instructions are incorrect or there's something wrong with the lite.