My new dual component set-up (with pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Well, I finally found some time to do a dual component set-up in the front doors. I used two sets of 6.5" Infinity Kappa components. Had to fab up a mounting baffle and mod the door panel just a bit. Didn't want it to be too bright, so I only used one set of tweeters which I placed in the a-pillars like the 03-up trucks. They have about 100w running to them from an Alpine 4ch amp. Sounds awesome; really clean, crisp, and loud. Here are some pics.

Kappa 6.5" woofer:
Dualcomponentinstall5.jpg

Here's the abs piece I molded for the mounting baffle:
Dualcomponentinstall2.jpg

Dualcomponentinstall7.jpg

Dualcomponentinstall8.jpg

Dualcomponentinstall12.jpg

Dualcomponentinstall10.jpg

And the tweeter install:
Passenger
Dualcomponentinstalltweeter.jpg

Driver
Dualcomponentinstalltweeter1.jpg

Last edited:

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I thought you were gonna have those tweets on axis. I was gonna get a review...loll

I'm workin on gettin a 10" mid bass and a 6.5 for midrange in my doors now.

Looks good.

A dash mat will take away some of the harshness up top. I actually noticed the difference.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Hmmm. I thought you were gonna have those tweets on axis. I was gonna get a review...loll

Looks good.

A dash mat will take away some of the harshness up top. I actually noticed the difference.
Normally I would have grouped the mids and highs together, as I've always been against off axis set-ups. But I thought I'd try it different this time and listen to it in both locations with my ears rather than an RTA. Brought staging a little higher and doesn't sound too bad bouncing off the glass if aimed towards the center. Had to change the p.eq settings some but it actually sounds good.
In my last truck, I 'glassed the doors to house Kicker Resolution 8" midbass and two sets of 5.25" components. Sounded awesome. I like the 3-way component set ups. Show some pics of yours when you finish.

Last edited:

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post em for sure.

Thanks for the insight

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds like serious stuff. And JK that looks really clean and I bet it sounds awesome. All of this speaker talk is making me want to splurge money right now just to get rid of the Bose stuff I still have.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should do the exact same thing to the rear door, have a super kicken system then. Or did you??:D

Awsome work as always. Wish i had skill like that:cryin:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, I have a set of the kicker RMB8s laying around and I'd love to get them in the doors with about 150w ea. Still not sure how to do it cleanly tho.

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks killer!!! Love the way it fits in there. I bet they play just as nice.. Awesome job man!!!

KillerB

Reaction score
Looks awesome. How did you attach the ABS to the door panel? Do you have any problems with the door panel vibrating? Just curious.

B

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks great. The next thing I think I'm do is move my amps and hang em from the middle bench seat. So I can lay my seat down all the way.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Looks awesome. How did you attach the ABS to the door panel? Do you have any problems with the door panel vibrating? Just curious.

B
I attached the abs with some studs I plastic welded to the back. I drilled holes in the door panel where the studs lined up and used press on nuts and a dab of epoxy to hold them in place. The speakers are screwed in through the abs and door panel with screws and speedclips, and there are spacers between the abs and door panel to help keep the abs from flexing.
I used spray adhesive to attach a layer of jute to the back of the entire door panel to keep the panel nice and snug to prevent any rattling or vibration. Everything's pretty solid.

87gtNOS

Reaction score
JK, I just did similar in my Tahoe.

I used 2 sets of Infinity components, but I installed them into each of the 4 doors!
I have found that the rear tweeters do absolutely nothing.
I am contemplating installing the rear tweeters into the pillars just like you did,

I feel that there is not enough sound coming from high (like up by the windshield area) up.
In my Cherokee and Mustang, I had components in the front doors and put the tweets on the dash facing upwards. This gave me great sound from in front of me.

Does anyone have more thoughts on this matter?

Thanks

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice install. :) Do you find that with the tweeters pointed towards the windshield the sound stage is forward of where you sit. I've found that with installs where the tweeter is pointed forward the sound stage is too forward.

I've also found that for tweeters to be effective in rear doors, they need to be mounter higher on the door or in a pillar so that the tweeter's sound path isn't obstructed by the seats. But rather the tweeter's sound path is directed at the passenger.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice install. :) Do you find that with the tweeters pointed towards the windshield the sound stage is forward of where you sit. I've found that with installs where the tweeter is pointed forward the sound stage is too forward.

I've also found that for tweeters to be effective in rear doors, they need to be mounter higher on the door or in a pillar so that the tweeter's sound path isn't obstructed by the seats. But rather the tweeter's sound path is directed at the passenger.

If I were putting a component set in the rear doors for the passenger's sake I would put the tweeter low in the door and on axis to them so they don't interfere with the front stage.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If I were putting a component set in the rear doors for the passenger's sake I would put the tweeter low in the door and on axis to them so they don't interfere with the front stage.
Agreed. In an sq set-up, the idea is to have staging and all the musical detail coming from the front and rear use speakers just for fill. A simple rear coax or low powered component setup with tweets aimed low will help keep the rear from blending in with the front, expanding the depth of the front stage. Too much high detail from the rear will bring staging farther back.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True and correct for front passengers. But for rear (2nd row) passengers a secondary sound stage is needed with more high detail than can effectively produced from from the front sound stage.

I guess it comes down to what one is trying to achieve and then implementing the proper locations/aiming/power for the respective sound fields.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
True and correct for front passengers. But for rear (2nd row) passengers a secondary sound stage is needed with more high detail than can effectively produced from from the front sound stage.

I guess it comes down to what one is trying to achieve and then implementing the proper locations/aiming/power for the respective sound fields.
Very true. In my truck, it's mostly just me back and forth to work, so staging is set-up for me. I almost always take the wife and kids in the CTS, so I have the tweets on the rear coaxs (Infinity's w/directional tweets) aimed up for the rear passengers.
In some Mercedes, the rear components are in the rear deck and the tweets are mounted in a pod facing towards the front of the car.
All about the purpose of the system and what one is trying to achieve like you said.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tweeter pod at the bottom of the B Pillar always crossed my mind but I don't care about the passengers until I do a video setup and thats its own thing for the kids.

With the right imaging up front you really don't need rear fill at all unless your after the ambient effect or need it. Its definitely not "surround sound" like some confuse...lol