Clearing 35's with 20's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bighoe

Reaction score
I have a 2002 z71 tahoe with keys in the front. i am currently clearing 35 12.50x17 nitto mud grapplers. I am wanting to put 35 12.50x20 nitto mud grapplers on it. I know I can clear them with 6" of lift but I want as little lift and as much tire and rim as I can fit. Any suggestions on what I could do to clear them without going to a 6" lift?

jeep450

Reaction score
If it clears now with 17" it should clear with 20". The only thing you are changing is the hole in the middle of the tire, the overall height of 35" stary the same assuming you keep the same offset as the 17" wheels.

bighoe

Reaction score
Its not the height that I am worried about. Its the width in the back. The 20" rim will cause the tire to be wider due to the fact that it is a 10" wide rim. The rim I have now isn't but 7.5" wide and I am real close to hitting the frame.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know a whole lot about it but i know you will have to calculate out the backspacing or offset in order to push the tire and rim out...you need to do this before you order the rims

bighoe

Reaction score
ok so how do you calculate that? I am not very familiar with aftermarket wheels or backspacing.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let your backspacing be the same or a little bit less (maybe half inch?) as what it already is. This will automatically adjust the offset for you.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if you're going to a 10 inch and are worried about the tire sidewall width... You said you're existing rim is 7.5", it's probably really 8". So if you gain an inch in each direction from centerline (at the bead), i'd say the tire's side bulge would only increase about a 1/2".

ZachXSmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will not be able to run 20x10s with just keys. The x10 makes your tire stick out another 2.5 inchs even if it was stock backspacing, which it wont be. I'm guess either 4.5 inch's of backspacing or 5.5 inch's.
When your rim is wider instead of turning the tire in your fenderwell, they turn on a wider path and contact peices of body. I cleared 315's on my 05 z71 with stockers and I bought a set of weld 17x9's and i was rubbing at every turn.

TAHOE & MJG

Reaction score
I have eagle 079's 20x9 with 33x12.5 mud grapplers with only keys in front and all I had to do was shave inter skirt in the front and its fine....

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Body lift or 6" suspension lift with LOTS of trimming will clear 35's with 20x10s. Don't hack your truck up just to clear too big of a tire.

Aquinosteven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can u post a pic of ur truck clearing 35s with no lift. i could see a really thin 35 but your tire is wider then stock