Question about getting XM Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stabone

Reaction score
I just bought an '05 Z71 that is NOT XM ready. I am looking for the best way to get XM radio through the factory head unit. Does anyone know if XM makes a direct connect to fit the factory head unit that gives me control through the factory unit?

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an '05 Z71 that is NOT XM ready. I am looking for the best way to get XM radio through the factory head unit. Does anyone know if XM makes a direct connect to fit the factory head unit that gives me control through the factory unit?

XM just merged with Sirus Radio, if you don't mind waiting I would wait a month or two to see what they end up doing with each other. You won't be able to control the Sat radio through your stock headunit if it not XM ready. You will need to have a seperate display with controls, and to connect to the radio you can either get a unit that brodcast on the FM frequency of your choice or if your stock head unit has an Aux input you might be able ot connect that way. For the cleanest look I would purchase a new head unit that is "SAT" ready, which means you can either run sirus or xm on it once you buy the little reciever unit for their repective signal.

Stabone

Reaction score
I will probably just end up buy like a Pioneer D3 and then adding whatever I need to add to get XM. I was really hoping to do it for less than a grand but I guess I'm gonna have to choose to spend the money or just keep it stock. Rather spend the money on HID's and an Intake. Shoot, maybe I should just trade up for an '07. You can pick them things up for $25k around here.

Razorbackfan

Reaction score
Well, I have Sirius and it's awesome. I have an XM capatable radio in the Tahoe and I was going to see if I could add this into my existing subscription as the two companies have announced a merger. Sirius told me that they will not actually merge the two companies for at least a year or two. I find it best to have the removable radio anyway so I can move it from my work van to my boat to the house so I don't have to have a subscription for every place I have a radio. Terrestrial radio sucks and I can't live without it. I got the permanent subscription on mine so I don't pay a monthly bill. The only drawback to this is you have to have a aux input to get good sound quality (the FM signal setting is worthless). Most if not all factory radios prior to '07 did not have this available so you have to upgrade your head unit. My dad has the XM activated on his Avalanche and I didn't like it as much as Sirius and the monthly subscription is higher than the Sirius.

You could add the remote radio and still get your HID's and intake. You can transfer the activation if you decide to upgrade the receiver later.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for the XM antenna on the top, by the upper part of the windshield.

Also, even if it's not activated you'd see XM as one of the AUX options when you hit the Source button UP/DN. (i.e. Radio, CD, XM)

BH