Help lower my 96 Yukon 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preachar

Reaction score
I just bought a 96 Yukon GT 4WD in perfect condition with a 3in body lift kit. I want to lower the truck by removing the lift kit first, then I need to know how to lower the truck if I can with a 4WD system. I'd like to do this before winter starts.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belltech has the kit for lowering. It includes the offset Torsion bar keys and rear springs.

http://www.belltech.com/

Lowering 4x4's not a problem. Just can't go as low as 2 wheel drive. :cool2:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is the kit I used. on the 99.
Drop shackels for the rear, and I didnt need the front torsion keys. They brought the front waaay down. All the way in the uppermost position, I couldnt clear the tires on the smallest bumps. so I put the stock ones back in and cranked them down, and that was fine for me.
Im running wider stance tires, though. maybe they stick out jussssst a bit more than stock, and the top of the flare hits the top of the tire( with the belltech keys) stocks cranked down, i get no rubbing except over a deep bump.
maybe the 96 and 99 suspensions are different, but that's my .02

DefEddie

Reaction score
Put torsion keys in front,you can go 3" sometimes a little over.
The belltech kit uses 3" keys and 3.5" leaf spring.
The stylin kit looks to use 3" keys and 2" drop shackle.

If you want to go any lower with a 4wd then it's gonna be custom.

Nobody makes a lowering control arm or spindle for the 4wd's that i've found(and i've LOOKED :D )
I'm fabricating some stuff on my front end anyway so I'm just going to change what I need to change while i'm in there.

For a really sweet drop on a 4wd,my firm belief is it needs to be bodydropped first. That will take care of a few inches and get rid of that unsightly frame nakedness down the rockers.
After that the 3" available drop for the suspension would be nice to play with a bit.
You'll need to do something about the rear floorboard though going that low and bringing the body/sus closer together.