(((stock amp location)))

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to know where the stock amp is located in my 2000 gmc yukon round body. my rear pillar speakers and my stock subwoofer wires get no power. i already search for any blown fuses in the cab and under the hood so the only thing left is to check the stock amp. please help. thanks

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its actually pretty darn hard to reach. but if your going to give it a try its on the passenger side behind the glove box. i would doubt its the amp if all the other speakers work though.

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i thought but im not sure how many channels the factory amp has. maybe that channel is blown. im gonna be getting some more door speakers installed along with a new amp for them and i also have some bullet horns that i want to put back in the rear pillars as i had before but i wanna get this worked out first, anymore ideas would be greatly appreciated.

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imputting them in the rear pillars mainly for filling the rear with some sound, especially since im always opening the rear to entertain with friends. i had them in the rear before and loved the way the rang out and that was without an aftermarket amp........are there any specific reasons why my rear pillar speakers and factory sub has no power to the wires?

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not recently. but when i had the bullet horns in i blew one of them because they were used already. when trying to install another set i ended up touching the wires together but that didnt do anything. it wasnt until a few days after that when i lost all power to the rear pillars. after trying out different speakers i decided to try out the wires running to my factory sub and there was no power there either. after checking the fuses on the side of the dash and under the hood i decided that the amp might be defective. remeber it is an 8yr old truck.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it could be the horns have a lower impedence? i cant help you to much on that stock amp cause i never had to work on it since i ran new wires and got a different amp.

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i know its not the bullet horns because i tried 3 different sets of speakers, bullet horns, reg. horns, and factory speakers. how do you bypass the factory amp anyway?

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you dont exactly bypass it. if your wanting to run a aftermarket amp then you will need to run all new wires to the doors and wherever else you need it.

i was thinking the impedence on the bullets would be lower than the stock speakers thus burning out a channel maybe.

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok after running new wires to the door speakrs is should the factory amp be unplugged or will it create a problem when unpluged? also i saw on another site (cant remember where) that the factory amp was about the size of a deodorant stick and located just above the brake and gas pedals.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its behind the glove box and pretty hard to get to. but you can leave it plugged in. and its not the size of a deodorant stick lawl.