Admitted audio newbie doing first aftermarket install - Help Appreciated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanh129

Reaction score
Ok,

UPDATED AFTER MY TRIAL AND ERROR EXPERIENCE LAST NIGHT

So I am going to attempt to do an amp and sub install myself to save some money. I know I could pay someone like $100 and they would do it for me, but I also want to begin to learn how to do this. I am a major newbie when it comes to audio installs so feel free to make fun of me:D

Here is what I have:

05 Yukon with Bose Sound Sytem

Items to Install:

500 Watt Bazooka Amp (I know I know...crappy)
2 - 10" Pioneer Subs in box (Again, I know, but I got it all for $30)

I've been doing some research and I know that I need to by a 2 Channel LOC and connect it to my stock sub wires (underneath cup holders), plug in the RCA's from the amp, hook the amp up to my battery (through firewall) and ground it, then run the speaker wires from the amp to the subs. In essence, is this correct? If not, let me know where I'm an idiot.

I also have a few dumb questions:

I wired up what I thought was the remote wire but even with the key off the end of the wire would spark? I'm guessing this isn't the correct wire? It was the orange wire that ran where the other sub wires were running?

Having trouble grounding the amp...I attached it to a bolt on the body of my car in the engine bay but when I connected the positive terminal is shot a big spark out of the ground? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Last edited:

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
always disconnect the battery, first. That's what I do. Things are gonna spark because your closing the loop on some wires with the battery connected. The remote wire is normally blue with a white stripe on a wiring harness. I believe its still blue and white under the dash (running to the back of the radio). Ground the amp to a bolt near the amp. Power line runs from the engine bay (the battery) to the amp.

When dealing with electricity, just think like this, Would you install a ceiling fan with the light switch cut on? Nope so disconnect the power, do your install. Then re-look over everything make sure its right etc, then connect the battery back.

ryanh129

Reaction score
Thanks...I did the install last week and everything is working fine. FYI for all those doing installs on your 05 Yukon. The remote wire is PINK.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not totally sure how you would do the remote wire considering i never tried on my stock HU. you should go to the12volt.com and get the wiring diagram for the stock harness and splice into the remote.

but your gonna want just the power going up front to the battery and try to find a place in the back about 3-4 feet away from the amp to ground it. make sure to scratch the paint off the area.

when you have all that connected and you put the positive back on your gonna see a spark(not huge but noticeable) its normal and basically means you did something right ha.

ryanh129

Reaction score
Ha...yeah. I noticed that. I've got everything up and running. There is a pink remote wire in the harness under the cup holder in 05 Yukons. I spliced into that and it works awesome. Amp comes up when the the doors are unlocked and everything stays running when you turn the car off until you open the door.