01 Denali, Grinding drivetrain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyM

Reaction score
I've got a 01 Denali with an awful grinding and heavy/deep popping when making a hard right or left turn. It's not CV joints. The binding/catching can be felt if you put your hand on the front or rear tire.
Are there any known issues like this with the AWD drivetrain in the Denali?
Thanks, all.

Jim

dano

Reaction score
Jim -

I'm not too familiar with the these vehicles... YET! I just got my Tahoe! But, I am very familiar with 4wd systems, as I've been building Jeeps for years. Can't say that this is your exact problem, but if you're experincing any kind of binding when making turns, it could very likely be the transfer case.

These trucks use a viscous coupling type transfer case, similar to those found in many other types vehicles. In some cases, you won't feel anything abnormal when driving straight but you will notice some binding, even a jerking of the steering wheel when trying to make a turn.

Does this sound like the symptoms you've experienced?

If you've confirmed that the CV joints at the axles are in good condition, you might also check the ball joints on the front end. Of course, if you can feel this "popping" on both front and rear ends, then I would lean more towards something central like the transfer case.

Hopefully its something much more minor than that and for your sake, I'm wrong here. Not to worry you too much, but transfer cases can be expensive! I only say this to prepare you for the worst and hope for the best. You know...!

Good luck!

Dano

Tree Yukon

Reaction score
but if you're experincing any kind of binding when making turns, it could very likely be the transfer case.

These trucks use a (viscous coupling type transfer case), similar to those found in many other types vehicles.
You will notice some binding, even a jerking of the steering wheel when trying to make a turn.

Does this sound like the symptoms you've experienced?

Of course, if you can feel this "popping" on both front and rear ends, then I would lean more towards something central like the transfer case.

I've expirienced the same problem but intermitently. If these things have a viscous coupling what makes them engage? Electical, or vacume?

Tree Yukon

Reaction score
Disable 4x4

After looking a my transfer case. Looks like a vacuum system. Maybe there's a leak in a vacuum hose. I took the 4x4 fuse out of the pannel inside the drivers door, no more grinding.

Tree Yukon

Reaction score
Update

After looking a my transfer case. Looks like a vacuum system. Maybe there's a leak in a vacuum hose. I took the 4x4 fuse out of the pannel inside the drivers door, no more grinding.

Well the grind came back. Does it backing up also now. To the shop as soon as it get's back home.

Tree Yukon

Reaction score
More about grinding. It starts after about 30min. of driveing. Something has to warm up.