6.5in pods for rear 4x10's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
i made these for TahoeGoBoom. it replaces the factory 4x10 grill with my pod.

0926081924.jpg

0926081928.jpg

0926082049.jpg

0926082058.jpg

0928081455.jpg

0930081857.jpg

what do you guys think?

do you think if i made more of these people would want to buy them?

they should get installed sat or sunday so i hope i will get pics of them to post

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like the idea but,

i would be curious if a hard jolt from a bump or what have you wouldn't pop those covers out of place making them basically flying objects, harmful to anyone in the vehicle.

i would try to think of a way to bolt them to the original brackets in the roof so if the unthinkable front end collision happened those speakers wouldn't nail you in the back of the head, causing serious injury.

you come up with a good mounting system and i bet you could sell a good deal of them.

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
they use all the factory brackets that hold the old cover up. that cover is a bitch to take off so i figured it would work fine to hold the new pods. i build my pods off the old 4x10 grill. as you can see in the first pic you would have to put you hand through the speaker then twist the rear lock into place.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess my factory plates are different on my 96 then. if you flex those covers in the middle you can pull them out with a little force. not dissin' the design, just my input on it. if you say it'll be fine then im sure it will be for your customers.

i like the idea though. might have to build a similar mount that attaches to the factory metal bracket to hold a different sized speaker. i'd find a way to seal them off from the rest of the roof space as well to get a little better sound out of them. the way you have that mount made it should be easy to do.

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
i figured i can always hot glue in a piece of mdf and self tap it into the metal up there. i will c how it comes out.

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
you realized that the covers do not flex anymore after they are glassed and all. so what is holding them up would be the 3tabs in the front and the 2 tabs in the back.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is a good point, i guess its just the thought of those plastic tabs holding the speaker in there... i usually tend to over build speaker enclosures a little anyway.

just my $0.02. but like i said if it'll work, it'll work.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you made them like a pro!!! how long did it take to make them?

but one thing i would seal off the back of them. the head liner where the 4x10's go
are not sealed at all so you want get a good sound from them and plus you can screw
the back of them to the 4x10 metal plate after you seal the pods.

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
i am just going to pack the pod full of polly fill once they are up there. the way i was thinking of mounting them dose not allow me to seal the back off.

it took about 3hrs from start to finish including drying time.

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....I'm thinking you might just have to make another pair of those. Let me know how they sound.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So they should be in the truck saturday night assuming all goes well. I'll be sure to post up the pictures so my good friend over here can whore out my truck some more. lol.

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
they are going to sound great. it just depends on the speaker you use. i am also probably ordering a speaker baffles. as these are just the first ones i went with some cheaper speakers(Powerbass S-675)

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
this is the first time i have seen them in the truck i am real happy with the way they look.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They fit in real good. and they sure as hell arent comin off. they only thing I will say is dont buy cheap speakers with these things, cuz beware, YOU WILL HEAR THEM. dont say, "oh, there in the back", and buy somethin cheap. cuz they make for a perfect split between front and rear.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They fit in real good. and they sure as hell arent comin off. they only thing I will say is dont buy cheap speakers with these things, cuz beware, YOU WILL HEAR THEM. dont say, "oh, there in the back", and buy somethin cheap. cuz they make for a perfect split between front and rear.

dude thats good to hear about the fit. makes me want to go rip out those blown 4x10's and glass a set of them up tonight. haha got the plywood and the rotozip... all i need is some resin! good reason to use those extra speakers i bought a long while back.....

props on the design and execution!

96cherry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**** kenwood makes a good set of 4x10's for about 50 bucks on ebay my question is why would i downgrade for more work/money