Another coil spacer question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've managed to find some pretty good deals on coil spacers and torsion keys with my powers of google-fu and ebay-chi. I'm bidding on some coil spacers right now on fleabay, but there are three different height options, and I can choose which ones I want at the end of the auction. The seller is stating that when coil spacers are installed, the rear ride height is actually increased by TWICE as much as the actual spacer height. Example, a 1.5" spacer will actually create approximately 3" lift, which varies by vehicle and spring condition, etc, so he stresses the term "approximately".

Is there any truth to this? I don't really see how it's possible but he's sold a bunch of these things (in the hundreds...nearly 400 IIRC) and has a 100% positive feedback record, which is impressive. So, I'm looking for about 2-2.5" of lift...so that means I should get the 1" spacers according to this guy. True or false?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy is full of sh*t. Buy some 1 3/4" or 2" spacers and you'll be fine. With keys you'll still have some rake to the back and it won't sag if you haul/tow anything.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy is full of sh*t. Buy some 1 3/4" or 2" spacers and you'll be fine. With keys you'll still have some rake to the back and it won't sag if you haul/tow anything.

Yeah, thats pretty much what I was thinking. Not sure where he go the idea that putting a 1.5" coil spacer will somehow magically result in a 3" lift lol....but these are about $30 less that the cheapest kit I've found from suspension maxx so I'm not complaining about his ignorance. :smilielol:

I'll just order the 1.5" spacers and if they really are too tall, I'll find someone with a lathe and turn them down a little.

TXST8tj

Reaction score
i just spent the $80 and bought the sure bet with the Suspension Maxx. i got the 1.5" for my suburban and am running the Ford keys cranked. i got close to 3.5" of lift in the front and exactly 1.5" in the rear.
i have heard of someone on ebay selling spacers that are not correct. couldn't say if that is the same dude. there is another guy that apparently sells the almost identical spacer as the SMs for half the price.

i paid $75 for the Ford keys and $80 for the spacers. $155 for 3" of lift and room for 33" tires is not too bad.
i swapped in longer front shocks, but that was not 100% necessary.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just spent the $80 and bought the sure bet with the Suspension Maxx. i got the 1.5" for my suburban and am running the Ford keys cranked. i got close to 3.5" of lift in the front and exactly 1.5" in the rear.
i have heard of someone on ebay selling spacers that are not correct. couldn't say if that is the same dude. there is another guy that apparently sells the almost identical spacer as the SMs for half the price.

i paid $75 for the Ford keys and $80 for the spacers. $155 for 3" of lift and room for 33" tires is not too bad.
i swapped in longer front shocks, but that was not 100% necessary.

Thanks for your input, TXST. The guy I'm ordering from seems relatively legit, he has a 100% feedback rating for rougly 375+ transactions, selling mainly these spacers. The auction ends tonight so I think I'm in good shape, unless someone snipes my auction (which happens on occasion...and pisses me off lol).

I got the Ford keys online from a dealership in Las Vegas for a great price, the keys themselves were about $10 under list at $24.80 or so each, plus about $12 for shipping to CO, so I got them for about $62.

Hey, I saved enough for a gallon of gas. :rolleyes2:

So, $62 shipped for the keys and roughly $58 shipped for the spacers (provided I don't get sniped), puts me at $120 for enough lift to tuck 33s. I'm ok with that. :D

TXST8tj

Reaction score
yeah, it really is a good setup. i'm really happy with it. other than the obvious being taller than stock deal, i did not notice a difference in ride quality over stock. replacing the shocks is not 100% necessary, but i would recommend it. the stock shocks will fully extend and compress through holes and over bumps and will eventually wear out and die a horrible death. the longer aftermarket shocks just smooth out the ride even more and give you the travel you really need.

you can check my post in the general section for pics and such.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, it really is a good setup. i'm really happy with it. other than the obvious being taller than stock deal, i did not notice a difference in ride quality over stock. replacing the shocks is not 100% necessary, but i would recommend it. the stock shocks will fully extend and compress through holes and over bumps and will eventually wear out and die a horrible death. the longer aftermarket shocks just smooth out the ride even more and give you the travel you really need.

you can check my post in the general section for pics and such.

Yeah, shocks are next on my list, but my truck is 99% on-road so it's not a huge necessity for me right now. My truck is a 2000 though so they'll probably die sooner rather than later...but at least I'll have an excuse for the wife when they finally do lol. I was going to plunk down the cash for some Bilstein HDs, but I'll give those KYBs a look too.

00' 323

Reaction score
what size shocks

So, with a 3/3 lift new shocks arent needed? I mean longer? I am abusive towards my tahoe off road but i take very good care of it. I just replaced my shocks cause of all the bashing they gave out. is it best that i get new (longer) shocks and what kind would be beneficial?

TXST8tj

Reaction score
with that kind of lifting, on the road it is not 100% necessary; however, i felt it was becasue there was not enough usable shock left to dampen the bumps, which also meant they would/will wear out faster. (i installed the longer shocks after doing the lift)

the stock length shock WILL function and support your vehicle..it just won't be the ride you might be used to. if you offroad your truck, the shorter stock shock will be a limiting factor (litterally) when articulating.

bottom line, when doing the ford keys and spacers, add longer shock into your budget. they don't have to go on right away, but you will want them.

TXST8tj

Reaction score
for the front - KYB 565076
for the rear - KYB 565105 (this is model # i have, but i need to double check to be sure) these are actually a Dodge part #, but they are a longer shock for a tahoe/suburban.

a lot of people on www.Z71tahoe-suburban.com are trying out the extended length Bilstiens. they are quite a bit more per shock, but i'm sure are worth it.

for me, the low cost of the KYB Monomax shocks has been well worth it. i would recommend them to anyone.