97 2dr lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never lifted a vehicle before and have some questions.

1) are there any kits out there that do not require cutting the "Y" pipe. I have finally got a set up that doesn't leakandwould like to staythat way.

2) What is a good brand? I have looked at kits that are anywhere from a 2-3" kit, 4" and 6". I am after one that will just bring me up a bit to clear some bigger tires.

3) Any one know a placve that can do the install in the Philly area. I live in an apartment and have no means these days of doing this myself.

Thanks.

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have decided on a 6" kit, between a Pro-Comp and a Cepek. Any one out there running either of these?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are several of us on here with the 6" Procomp kit. i haven't had any problems with mine at all. haven't seen/heard anyone with the Cepek kit though.

-you may be able to get by without modifying the Y-pipe with the procomp kit. mine was and theres quite a bit of clearance between it and the front shaft, enough that it didn't have to be done. take into account my torsion bars are turned up a bit to clear my wide 10" wide wheels on the back of the front fender flare/fender.

Might see if you have a somewhat local 4 wheel parts (www.4wheelparts.com) that who installed mine.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what size tires AND wheels will you be going with?

that should be decided on before the lift kit question can be answered

1) Yes, you can get SOME lift without cutting the y pipe or modding your exhaust in any way. this can be acheived by NOT doing a suspension lift. Try front torsion bar keys and rear blocks/raised shackles/add-a-leafs. (about a $300 kit to get ~3" all around)

2)ProComp makes excellent kits for suspension lifts. that **** ain't cheap tho. you gotta have it installed by some1 who really knows wtf they are doing. the drive line angles must be properly aligned or you will ruin your gears/bearings/etc. also, things must be lengthened like brake lines/exhaust/shocks/etc...

3) not sure a bout philly shops but it's a big city. try to find some racing guys or jeep guys and ask them who does good suspension work. if all else fails you can try talking a reputable body shop into doing it for you. sometimes they will want to make some extra cash

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided on a 6.5 kit from Cepek. It's a full drop kit, I'll deal with chopping the "Y" pipe to clear the front drive shaft. No torsion bar cranking with that kit to achieve the 6.5" lift so no worries on tearing up the front end

As for tires, some thing like a 315/70/17, 35/12.5/17 or 36/12.5/17. I already have 17x8 AR mojave wheels. No need for a realy wide wheel, I used to runn a 305/65/16 on a stock wheel. Love the teflon coating too...matches the paint exactly and cleans up real easily.

I tracked down a really nice offroad place not to far from me, they specialize in jeeps but make some amazing rigs.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you just gotta know when and where to buy the kit. i bought and had mine installed for about the same price as the kit is now. $1600 or so, which isn't bad compared to some of the kits out there before install....

let me know how that Cepek Kit turns out, I'd like to see some pics of it as well once its on your ride. haven't seen a hoe/yuk with the Cepek kit yet.

bobcatgt

Reaction score
lift kit

dude i just bought a pro comp lift kit and its a true six inch drop "lift" with out cranking my bars...i know because i have called just about every company to find out down to the inch how much drop and lift u will get out of each one . all of the kits that say 4-6 inch souch as "rough country" mean that the kit is designed to be a 4 about 4.5 inches of drop "lift" the rest of the lift comes from cranking your torsion bars, resulting in a stiff ride .......i got mine brand new from four wheel parts for $1400 total !!!!!! . i made them match a price..............they have the lowprice guarantee .let me know if i can be of any more help:yaya::yaya:

newmarketEOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude i just bought a pro comp lift kit and its a true six inch drop "lift" with out cranking my bars...i know because i have called just about every company to find out down to the inch how much drop and lift u will get out of each one . all of the kits that say 4-6 inch souch as "rough country" mean that the kit is designed to be a 4 about 4.5 inches of drop "lift" the rest of the lift comes from cranking your torsion bars, resulting in a stiff ride .......i got mine brand new from four wheel parts for $1400 total !!!!!! . i made them match a price..............they have the lowprice guarantee .let me know if i can be of any more help:yaya::yaya:

i have the RC 6 inch with the 4.5 inch drop brackets. I personally prefer the kit. I plan on actually taking the truck off road and my clearence under the front skidplate is really good, my lowest point on my truck is the rear axle. The ride with the torsion bars also isnt bad at all, i jsut recomend upgrading the shocks.

bobcatgt

Reaction score
yreah im just a fan of the kits that dont want u to crank ur bars , thats just my personal preference. .... i want my truck to ride as good as stock without stiffing up the ride .i will agree that the kit from rough country seems like a good deal for the price that u pay do u have any pics of the truck id like to see one witha a rc lift
:cuss::umn: