Trying to go bigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pygeum

Reaction score
So, I bought my wife a 2008 Tahoe LT - 2WD. Bless her heart, she wants it lifted with 35 inch tires underneath. My interesting problem, after speaking to a few tech/installers, is if I go with a 6" lift, I need to have the driveshaft extended to prevent it from leaking. Has anyone heard of this? I was planning on going with the pro-comp lift and even called them. They were unaware of this issue. However, they said one of their employees just installed this lift on their 08 2wd and noticed that it started to leak when parked in his driveway or on a slant/hill. I don't know about you, but that worries me. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt you'll need 6" of lift to clear 35" tires, I do know that a Leveling kit on these Ho's which raises the front about 2" will clear 33" tires easily, but there isn't really much of an option to go inbetween the two but I'l leave that to people that hav lifted Tahoe's on here to help you wth.

Check out www.4wheelonline.com under Suspension Lift Kits for some good Lift or Level kits, just don't go with Pro Comp because I've been hearing some sh*t about them thats not to good. Fabtech, Rancho and Skyjacker are som options and good brands.

Last edited:

Pygeum

Reaction score
I have a four inch rancho lift and I clear 35's.

I like the look of your truck, but I always thought it was a 4wd. Isn't the height/clearances different on 2wd vs 4wd?

I highly doubt you'll need 6" of lift to clear 35" tires, I do know that a Leveling kit on these Ho's which raises the front about 2" will clear 33" tires easily, but there isn't really much of an option to go inbetween the two but I'l leave that to people that hav lifted Tahoe's on here to help you wth.

Check out www.4wheelonline.com under Suspension Lift Kits for some good Lift or Level kits, just don't go with Pro Comp because I've been hearing some sh*t about them thats not to good. Fabtech, Rancho and Skyjacker are som options and good brands.

Ok, I will move Pro-Comp to the bottom of the list. I had Pro-comp on my crew-cab, and didn't have any problems - other than going thru tie-rods. Hopefully some other members will post some feedback on their pro-comp experiences - good or bad. I will check out the web site for more info.

Thank you both for your input - I really appreciate it!:thumbsup:

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fco_gonzo said:
I have a four inch rancho lift and I clear 35's.
Dont you have a 2" leveling kit in the front so you are really at 6" in the front right?

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the look of your truck, but I always thought it was a 4wd. Isn't the height/clearances different on 2wd vs 4wd?

Ok, I will move Pro-Comp to the bottom of the list. I had Pro-comp on my crew-cab, and didn't have any problems - other than going thru tie-rods. Hopefully some other members will post some feedback on their pro-comp experiences - good or bad. I will check out the web site for more info.

Thank you both for your input - I really appreciate it!:thumbsup:

My truck is a 4WD

Dont you have a 2" leveling kit in the front so you are really at 6" in the front right?

Yes I do but I was clearing 35's before the leveling kit. I wanted to go for the nose up look.

Pygeum

Reaction score
Don't go with Pro Comp because I've been hearing some sh*t about them thats not to good. Fabtech, Rancho and Skyjacker are som options and good brands.

I keep finding myself going back to the pro-comp lift. What bad things have you ( or anyone else for that matter ) heard? Is it more with the people installing the lift or the lift itself is bad?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its just alot of crap I've heard about them, mainly due to 4Wheel Parts, akes me not wan their products, plus someone on this forum warned against their lifts a couple of week back, I'd say go with Rancho, Skyjacker or Superlift if you're lookoing for a lift and not a level.

Last edited:

Pygeum

Reaction score
Pictures are a little dark, because I work long hours. But i'll tease you with it, until I am off during the day.:ack:

Attachments

• Tahoe Side.jpg
    Tahoe Side.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 107

Pygeum

Reaction score
One more. Suspension still needs to settle . . measures 46 inches in the front and 46.5 in the rear (ground to center of fender well).

Attachments

• Tahoe Frt.jpg
    Tahoe Frt.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 105

Pygeum

Reaction score
I kept on going back to the Pro-Comp lift. So, I took a gamble and went with it. So far so good. 6 inch lift on 35s with at 20" rim.

Pygeum

Reaction score
The only thing I didn't like, was I had to go with the after market wheels. I liked the stock 20" spokes. Thanks for your input!

codythom

Reaction score
I have a 6" pro comp on my 2004 2500HD and have had zero problems with it. It's been on the truck for 2 years now, and I love it. Good choice on the lift, tires, & wheels; you're going to love it!

DC Tahoe

Reaction score
Looks great man. I know what you mean about the stock 20's that why I went with the rancho 4" and 2" spacers. Those look great too!!!

HtownBB

Reaction score
Have you had any issues with rubbing with the wheels? If not, do you know the size and backspacing?

Repoman05

Reaction score
looks great. Ive got an 05 with a 6" and 35s so far so good...but now I want your body style.....thanks lol