The great oil change debate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have my first oil change b/t 3-5k miles... My personal preference.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just always been very particular when I have a brand new vehicle on its first oil change. I always try to change it a little early. When I bought my 300C, I had the first oil change done at 1500miles. I plan on waiting for 3000miles on the Tahoe. After the first change, I don't think it really matters as long as the oil level is ok.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most I've talked to recommend first at 500-1,000 mi. and then switch to Mobil 1. My mpg jumped 1 mpg when I switched. Plan to use oil monitor as guide but won't go over about 6,500-7,000 mi no matter what it says or what the level is.

The oil monitor in the DIC isn't part of OnStar. I never got any messages from OnStar to change oil.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm suprised you gained a mpg by chaging to Mobil 1. I'm used to using Castrol GTX:shhh: Hmmmm... dunno if I want to try something new or not....

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most I've talked to recommend first at 500-1,000 mi. and then switch to Mobil 1. My mpg jumped 1 mpg when I switched. Plan to use oil monitor as guide but won't go over about 6,500-7,000 mi no matter what it says or what the level is.

The oil monitor in the DIC isn't part of OnStar. I never got any messages from OnStar to change oil.

I'm amazed you guys go that far, I have gotten two (@ 3k miles and 6k) I have 8927 miles and I'm getting the oil changed tomorrow.

OnStar sends you monthly E-mails with a report of your overall vehicle diagnostics, if you are not getting it, you should hit the blue button and have them set it up.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OnStar sends you monthly E-mails with a report of your overall vehicle diagnostics, if you are not getting it, you should hit the blue button and have them set it up.

I was getting the diagnostic e-mails but didn't pay any attention to whether or not they said anything about oil. Moot point now as let it expire.

3,000 mi is about right for mineral based and 5,000 for synthetic. That equates to about 50% and 100% on the DIC.

Last edited: