DVD Headrests and RES Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p26963

Reaction score
Does anyone have the GM DVD headrests installed as well as the rear entertainment system?

I really did not want the RES but it came in the car that I bought. I really only wanted the DVD headrests but I was able to price the car such that I really wasn't charged for the RES.

Anyhow, I am having an issue where the infrared sensors from the RES are interferring with the headphones that are paired to the DVD headrests. The interference even happens when the RES is off.

From what I can tell, even with the RES off, the infrared sensors for the RES come on for about 2 minutes when the car is first turned on. I have told my kids that when the RES infrared sensors go off they then can power up their headphones and DVD headrests. Unfortunately, over time, the infrareds for the RES system go on and off and cause some interference.

So, does anyone know of anyway to isolate both systems from one another by installing some sort of switch or the like?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

p26963

Reaction score
Can consumers contact the GM Tech Line? If so, is there a phone number for that? Or can the tech line only be accessed via GM dealerships?

gm_geek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have 2 choices
1. If You not planing to use your factory Drop down Monitor (RSE) , then
a. pull down your overhead screen and dissconnect Infrared module (it's just a plug). and don't worry, factory screen will still work
b. or take a piece of electrical tape and just tape it over infrared module
2. If You still want to use Your factory RSE simultaneously with aftermarket Headrest system, then You need to get 900 Mhz Headphones, instead of ifrared ones that You have

Last edited:

taho

Reaction score
Service Quest

Call 1-800-222-1020, be ready to give VIN #. When-ever I have a problem

with a dealer/any issue with both my Tahoe & Silverado, I call them.

Hope this helps....Michael....6/7/07.

p26963

Reaction score
Great suggestions... I might just do the black electrical tape thing but I am also curious about your second suggestion. What would it take to convert the system to use the 900 Mhz headphones? Just a pair of 900 Mhz headphones? Or does it somehow use the headphone jack?

Thanks again.

You have 2 choices
1. If You not planing to use your factory Drop down Monitor (RSE) , then
a. pull down your overhead screen and dissconnect Infrared module (it's just a plug). and don't worry, factory screen will still work
b. or take a piece of electrical tape and just tape it over infrared module
2. If You still want to use Your factory RSE simultaneously with aftermarket Headrest system, then You need to get 900 Mhz Headphones, instead of ifrared ones that You have

p26963

Reaction score
I might just have to give that number a call and see what they say. :)

What is the 1-800 to anyhow?

Call 1-800-222-1020, be ready to give VIN #. When-ever I have a problem

with a dealer/any issue with both my Tahoe & Silverado, I call them.

Hope this helps....Michael....6/7/07.

gm_geek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great suggestions... I might just do the black electrical tape thing but I am also curious about your second suggestion. What would it take to convert the system to use the 900 Mhz headphones? Just a pair of 900 Mhz headphones? Or does it somehow use the headphone jack?

Thanks again.

900mhz kit comes with 2 x dual channel headphones/control module(2 wires,power/ground/with audio input) and you done
those headphone work really good, with 100ft. range

p26963

Reaction score
You have links for the product? I'm interested in this solution.

I guess one would disable the infrared from the drop down and then install the 900 mhz kit?

Any additional information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

900mhz kit comes with 2 x dual channel headphones/control module(2 wires,power/ground/with audio input) and you done
those headphone work really good, with 100ft. range