2004 Z71 Tahoe wipers won't shut off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lewis4god

Reaction score
Sometimes when I use my front wipers , they won't shut off. Has anyone had this problem? Next question is where is the wiper motor located exactly?
Thanks any help would be appreciated.

lewis4god

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may help:

Document ID# 1524179
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Service VME - Windshield Wipers Stay On - kw wiper operation switch electrical unwanted motor module intermittent wire #PIT3004 - (Jun 8, 2004)
Service VME - Windshield Wiper Stay On

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms in the PI.

SERVICE VME
Some customers may comment that their windshield wipers stay on, even when they are turned off. Root cause appears to be a material inside the relay causing the relay to stick after it was turned off. Production fix was implemented in May, 2004. Service fix is to replace just the wiper motor cover kit (P/N 88958372) rather than the entire wiper assembly (arm, motor, links).

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(04 Chevrolet All Full Size Trucks and Utilities) and (04 GMC All Full Size Trucks and Utilities) and (04 Cadillac All Full Size Utilities)

Yoda

Reaction score
How can I find more info on this? I just bought an 04' GMC Yukon XL and just had this problem over the weekend. How can I read the whole document you mentioned if there is more to it? I am not sure what the wiper motor cover kit is. Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:

mlawsonmcse

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 04 Yukon XL...I went out and bought the cover kit (PN: 88958372) but here is where I plead ignorance. Let's just say I'm not all that mechanically inclined, but I am very willing to learn :D So anyway, I have no idea where the hell the wiper motor is so I can't replace it. Living in Hawaii where it rains on a daily basis isn't fun when you have to use the fuse as your on/off switch.

Can I get some help/advice, please? (And don't tell me to take it to the shop because I don't know what I am doing! ;) )

mlawsonmcse

Reaction score
Anyone else out there have this problem and fix it themselves? Parts in hand, just need to know where to put it! (Pictures would help, but hey, I'm not picky.) Thanks in advance.

Fortune50

Reaction score
Anyone else out there have this problem and fix it themselves? Parts in hand, just need to know where to put it! (Pictures would help, but hey, I'm not picky.) Thanks in advance.

To replace the wiper motor you have to access it which is located in the cowl area below the windshield.
Remove:
-Wiper arms (note where they're located & remove the nut cover and then remove nut, may have to use a battery terminal puller to get the arm off the splined drive end)
Image002-1.jpg

-Air inlet grill pieces which cover the cowl (remove outer small end ones first, just pull off, then remove the metal clips & screws holding the main grill on).
Image000-2.jpg

Image001-2.jpg

-Reinforcement panel (remove 4 bolts)
Image000-1.jpg

-Then you can remove the motor/transmission assembly's 2 bolts and remove it.
Image001-1.jpg

-You'll need to carefully separate the motor's crank arm from the linkage if you don't have the tool (J 39232) to remove it.
Image004.jpg

-Then remove the 2 bolts that hold the motor to the linkage.
Image003.jpg

-Also, there is a special tool (J 39529) to install the linkage to the crank arm.
Image002.jpg

Hope this helps:D .

mlawsonmcse

Reaction score
You are a life saver! Thank you so much, will give this a try here tomorrow after work. On a side note...You ever plan on doing anything with that Grand Prix? I had an 01 gtp that I had lots of fun with, those things can be quite impressive for "grocery getters."

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fortune50 -

Great post on the wiper motor access.

Are they from a factory manual.

Doing the rear wiper motor on my '00 Tahoe 5.3L this weekend.

Any chance of getting pics of the rear for that?

Appreciate any help.

Fortune50

Reaction score
You are a life saver! Thank you so much, will give this a try here tomorrow after work. On a side note...You ever plan on doing anything with that Grand Prix? I had an 01 gtp that I had lots of fun with, those things can be quite impressive for "grocery getters."

You're welcome:thumbsup: .
The GP I've owned for over 5 yrs. I use it everyday (except in deep snow, which we've had too much of this winter). It suits me fine the way it is in stock form, so no plans of modding it or anything. It's pretty much a base model car (except for leather), so it's been pretty reliable since I've gotten all the first year production bugs fixed.

Fortune50

Reaction score
Fortune50 -

Great post on the wiper motor access.

Are they from a factory manual.

Doing the rear wiper motor on my '00 Tahoe 5.3L this weekend.

Any chance of getting pics of the rear for that?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks. Yes they're from the Helm's factory manual for '01 GM trucks.
Here's what I found for the rear wiper motor replacement:
-Remove the rear wiper arm by removing cover off arm then remove nut and pull arm off drive spline.
Image0a.jpg

-Remove nut & spacer from the wiper motor shaft (located on outside in picture):
Image000-4.jpg

-Remove rear liftgate upper trim cover by removing expanding plastic retainers at window latch close-out, then release the cover's retainers using J 38778 (trim clip remover, or you may have luck using a thin bladed tool to pull the retainers free) and remove cover.
Image00t.jpg

-Remove lower trim cover by removing the pull strap
Image002-2.jpg

and then w/ a thin bladed tool release the clips and then slide the cover upward to disengage and then remove.
Image003-1.jpg

-Remove the wiper motor by unplugging it and then removing the 2 screws and its out.
Image000-4.jpg

Hope this helps you out w/ your Tahoe shadow.:thumbsup:

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That, my friend, is exactly what I needed.

You are, a life saver!

Thanks a bunch!