Torsion bar kit question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mossman

Reaction score
I have a 98 4dr tahoe that I want to lift with aftermarket keys for the front and shackles in the rear to get 2.5 to 3 inches to fit 33's. Aside from getting
an alignment are the any drawbacks to lifting this way or other modifications that will need to be addressed when raised. Thanks.

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will stiffin the ride when you tighten torsion bars, and and you will need longer shocks if you plan on goin more than an inch or two. You will need at least 3 inches to fit 33's...and they probaly still rub a little. Hope this helps.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the rear you would have to do a shackle flip or blocks because the rear shackle looks like this. So a different shackle would lower you.
ordflipprecut-1.jpg

What size tire you plan on running 285/75R16 (32.83x11.22 16) or 305/70R16 (32.81x12)?

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can crank out the front torsion bars almost all the way - please never bottom that bolt out (tighten it all the way) - just leave a few threads showing, and make sure both sides are level - now the rear - putting in 3" blocks is the idea situation - however there is one problem, your going to stress that sway bar out more than you would ever know - what you will wind up doing is trying to find some sway bar endlink pins that are 3 inches longer than stock... and everywhere i looked i couldn't - you may wind up cutting them and welding in a 3" peice of rebar or something... this will fit 33s but... depending on how wide the tire is, there will be some rubbing up front if the tire is pretty wide - also.. if you get that thing twisted, or hit a good enough bump the tires will go up and hit the top of the fender

Mossman

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I going to go with the 285/75R16 for tires.

Mossman

Reaction score
Is there any clearance issues If I don't lift it a little, If not that would be cool.:git:

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running them on mine with only cranking the torsion bars a little bit for about 1 to 1.5 inchs in the front to level it out and i have not had any clearance issues

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to be putting them on the stock wheels?

newmarketEOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blocks and crank the torsion bars. Longer shocks up front, ditch the rear swaybar and get an alignment. If you are going to use stock wheels ide imagine that you might rub. I have stock 7 inch wide wheels with 35 12.50s on them ( i know its a stretch) and i rub on the A arms, back of the fenders slightly and removed the piece under the bumper.

Mossman

Reaction score
I was thinking about using the stock wheels if there is no rubbing. I am now thinking that there is no point buying the aftermarket torsion keys if I can just crank up the stock ones. How much lift can you get with the stock ones?

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It different with every truck. You could probably get a couple of inches on of them BUT the more you crank the worse the angles get and things tend to wearout faster. I would not go anymore than about 2". The only place that I rub with mine are on the lower control arms at full lock.

USMCRay

Reaction score
I went with rear Add A Leafs and it raised my rear up almost 3 inches because the thing is heavy as hell in the back and the springs were sagging a little. I then just cranked the torsion bars until it was level. I actually have the front higher now than what my pic shows.