What remote start works for this application?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick story and then a question. by 'quick' I mean 'wordy' if you dont feel like reading, skip to last paragraph.

one day, the CEO of my company called and asked me to come give him a jump at his underground parking garage below his apartment. ( he lives in florida and commutes here to work during the week) I drive 5 miles there and he buzzes me in and I jump his truck ( a 1994 suburban, 7.4L) he left the dome light on he said, and sure enough, after a few moments it starts.
While we were hooking up the jumpers, etc, he comments on my engine bay, clean, fatty wires, headers, intake etc., blahblah. hes all "wow" im like " i like the truck, blahblahblah"

He thinks now that Im some truck guru. he says " can you make my heat work?"
"i dont know if I can but Jiminey can for sure, he loves side work."
so we agree, I take the truck while he's in Florida doing something for a week.
Jim gets the flushy-flush goin etc, and gets 189 degrees to blow outof the dash. so thats cool.
I gave the truck back to Seth (thats dudes name) and he loves the heat. he says "why didnt it work"
Im like "you were 5K over on the oil change, 2 quarts low, the original wires cap and rotor,fuel filter, air filter, your a maintenance nightmare, no coolant, clogged heater cores, etc" I thought he would fire me.. but we're still cool.
so you get the picture. he has a 5 mile drive from home, and hes from florida, and runs 2 electric space heaters under his desk... get me? his BMW750i will go in the inside storage this winter and the sub in the outer lot of his building.

I say, "dude, maybe you need a remote start, then you could start the truck and let it idle for 10 minutes in the morning before you go out there. that would give the engine time to heat up and you would only be in the frigid Wisconsin air for the walk from the building to the truck, cause it would be warm when you got there."

he loves the idea, and wants to know when I can start.

I started looking/pricing DEI brand stuf, and theres tons of it. 2 ways.. notification systems.. molestation-proof-anti-theft etcetc.

Can you guys recommend a remote start that Seth can look out his window to his truck ( maybe 300 feet) and start it? I think that the viper 5101 would be cool, but is theer a better/economical type? this is his "beater" vehicle.
I wouldnt ask but Jiminey doesnt do electronics, and I have no remote start expierence.
thanks please let me know your thoughts,
Pete

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an autopage rs727 in my tahoe. it works great. n it tends to be decent in price. the only problem I've had is the paint on the pager remote coming off. but some tape, a razor blade and some spray paint n its good as new. lol

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
Autopage 1000($250) FTW.. or you can get a audiovox APS 997A($130)... another good choice would be a autopage 727($140).. autopage are DEI wire colors if that makes is anybetter for you.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks Ill check out those models and then bounce it off seth. I dont mind what kind, as long as I can get it installed, and it has good directions.

tim@sp

Reaction score
We install the Audiovox remotes here and they work GREAT!!!

Any DEI Will work fine though.

I have a ton of features on mine that you could see if he is interested....

I have a timer module on mine that I can set a time for it to start.
I also have a sat. link that I can call my truck up to start it.
Window modules that roll up the windows when you arm it....
and a Remote sensor in my garage that I can use an aux channel to open my garage door.

I would say make sure you get him a "2 way" Remote system so he can see on the key fob that his car is running, if its locked ECT.