Shallow Subs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdahew

Reaction score
I am really looking for a little more base in my 08 Tahoe. I am not looking to put a huge box behind the thrid row. I've seen a few shallow subs, Pioneer, Kicker, JL Audio and Rockford Fosgate. Has anyone heard any of these subs. At one time I had a regular Rockford (12")sealed box and a Pioneer (10")tube, in my car and I loved the way the Rockford hit. But I have never heard any of the shallow subs. Please help. I want to put either a 10" or a 12" subin.

bayourocket

Reaction score
I have the 10" pioneer shallow sub and it sounds very good. I don't have it installed in my Denali though...

Tdahew

Reaction score
Do you have any sub in your Denali? And what amp are you using on the 10's that you have?

bayourocket

Reaction score
I only installed 1 sub in a small box in my BMW X5. I am using a Rockford Fosgate P2002 200 watt amp bridged. It hits pretty hard for my 35 year old ears. I think I would have liked it at 17 as well!

I haven't upgraded the sub in my Denali yet. Still deciding what to do and how to do it. System sounds great (Bose), but the bass is a little lacking.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to do something like this, I just want to add one 10" with a mid-power mono amp. Haven't decided on the componentry yet but the plan is to use one of these shallow subs, and build it into a custom box between the rear buckets. So it would be like a custom console, with secret compartments, etc. From what I understand the performance on these is sufficient or even excellent with recent developments in them. And they don't need much air space, whether open port or closed.

Tdahew

Reaction score
I was in Best buy and I heard the Rockford sealed and a Kenwood ported and to me the ported sounded a lot better. I just don't know anything about Kenwood subs.

bayourocket

Reaction score
My pioneer sub is in a sealed box. I think the sealed box gives a "tighter" bass sound.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there's advantages to both, sealed being that "tighter" sound and ported being more bump/loudness.

Either one could be overcome by the other by using the proper airspace and matched sub, etc.

Tdahew

Reaction score
Thanks, I am ready to buy and I am torn between the following two, the MTX tt6510 and the Pioneer TS-SW2541D. I will be using a crunch P500.2 amp 500x2 to power them. Does anyone have a suggestion about these two speakers?

hdhomer

Reaction score
I think there's advantages to both, sealed being that "tighter" sound and ported being more bump/loudness.

Either one could be overcome by the other by using the proper airspace and matched sub, etc.
I'm no audio tech but as I understand it, the ported sub will require more power to produce the same amount of SPL output. The sealed box will be smaller and require less power to produce the same SPL. However, the sound of the sealed box will be boomier where the ported box will sound more natural.
I have (2) 12" KAPPA Perfects in a ported box and it is huge, but it sounds amazing.
I'm thinking of taking them out and putting in (1) 10" shallow mount in somewhere. I'm tired of the whole big system mess taking up all my space.

Tdahew

Reaction score
So if I go with a shallow mount sub in a ported box how much bigger do you think the box will be. The box I am looking to get is Q-Logic and it's 26wx14hx8.5d 1.00cu/ft or 15hx27wx7d, .65 cu/ft

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plan by next summer was to put a Kicker box in the left hand side of my third row footroom (you know in between the 2nd and 3rd row), Polk Audio componets front and back, then mod the current tweeter and 3.5" speaker locations on the D-pillar to house the new tweeters. All powered with a 5-Channel amp from under the center console.
Here is the box I was thinking about http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=510&i=2068TS10L5&tp=112

Speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=410&i=107DB6501&tp=106

Another Speaker I was considering:
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/item/main.aspx?i=500SPR17S&search=spr

hdhomer

Reaction score
So if I go with a shallow mount sub in a ported box how much bigger do you think the box will be. The box I am looking to get is Q-Logic and it's 26wx14hx8.5d 1.00cu/ft or 15hx27wx7d, .65 cu/ft

It depends on what the sub mfg recommends. They usually have recommendations available for both ported and sealed box volumes. Those Q-logic boxes fit a wide range of subs and the quality is not that great. They always sound to boomie for my taste. I always build my own boxes out of MDF. If you can cut some wood, it's not that difficult.

hotrod127

Reaction score
I have heard the Pioneer "TS-SW2541D " and that things sounds great in his Ranger. ( small sealed Box)

One of the best prices I have seen for this sub is at Parts Express
http://www.parts-express.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=574

I have also been researching to upgrade my 2008 Tahoe sound system. I came across this box that is a direct fit for the Tahoe behind the 3 row seats

http://caraudiofactory.com/2007-chevy-tahoe-single-poly-p-311.html

they also have a box for 2 - 10 or 12 inch subs ....

good luck and post back on your results
thx
Jorge