iPod Interface - which did you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano

Reaction score
I've got the Bose Stereo, XM and Rear Ent. System in my 05.

I installed the Peripheral PXDP model in my Hoe, at the advice of others (car audio install "experts" names to remain unmentioned), with confidence that all systems will continue to operate.

Post installation, everything seemed to work great. In fact, all controls really work well and I'm overall pleased with the operation. HOWEVER, I noticed when I first tried to use the DVD player on a road trip a couple weeks ago, the sound level far reduced from normal. Having figured it must be the interface I just installed, I went back and did a little more checking and sure enough... both Crutchfield and Peripheral comment that RES will not work with this model. :mad2:

Needless to say, on a 12 hour road trip, this was a little upsetting. Especially since I just got this Hoe and was SO looking forward to having someone else drive for the first time, while I enjoyed a movie. Yeah.... didn't happen!

Anyway, doing a little more checking around, Peripheral apparently does offer a model that will supposedly retain the function of the RES. This is PXDPGMT.

Just wondering what experience everyone else might have with this "issue".

Oh... here's an interesting fact. Peripheral also comments that such devices as CD changer, XM, and Cassette will no longer operate with the use of the PXDP. Well, that apparently is WRONG! Don't have a cassette player, but BOTH the CD changer and XM still work just fine! Thus, why I'm a little gun shy now to just take the word others whom may not have personal experience with this particular vehicle.

Pardon my rant!! :cool:

ostncoln

Reaction score
i got the usa spec #pa11-gm45. it just hooked in between the factory head and slave tape in my 01. works great, just hit aux to use. still have use of regular cd/tape. cotrols ipod with factory head unit. also had second input for aftermarket dvd player or whatever you want.

dano

Reaction score
PAZach - No that one you listed is for a later model (2006 - 2007) that have the GMLAN set up. Mine is a 2005, which is pre-LAN set up. I used the PXDP, which works great unless you want to use the factory DVD player!

ostncoln - I looked into the USA Spec. I still haven't got answers back from them yet, I've sent them an email seeing that they don't give you a number to call. Anyway, the concern I have is for the factory Rear Ent. System. That's the question I asked them.

The Peripheral PXDP, again works really well for everything else and even despite their comments on the website, IT DOES allow the use of the CD changers and XM. It also retains all the steering wheel controls, which is pretty cool as well. And, the RES actually turns on, the screen will show the movie in play, but the volume and sound is completely screwed. I MIGHT get 25% of the volume, and all the sound quality is gone.

So, as I see right now, the answer is to use the PXDPGMT model that Peripheral offers, which supposedly allows everything to work.

gm_geek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neucleus from American International works fine, even vehicle equiped with RSE/Changer/XM/etc. If you deside to buy one, make sure You call AI first and ask them for latest firmwire version, because many places on line or stereo shops, still sells older version of it

dano

Reaction score
Thanks GM GEEK. I haven't heard of those guys yet... but I'll look into it.

Have you personally installed the Neucleus on yours?

dano

Reaction score
UPDATE: 6/13/2007 - 3:30p EST

I just got off the phone with tech support from Peripheral. I informed him that I was interested running the PXDPGMT, which they have listed as being compatible with the RES, XM, Bose, etc. He told me, he knows that it's listed as such, however they've discovered problems and are currently advised folks to NOT use that model to run the iPod if you have the RES.

He told me they've been having complaints of sound quality while running the DVD. He said people reported here what sounds like "a mouse chewing on the speaker". I've never heard what that sounds like, but it can't be good!

So, looks like I'm narrowed down to the USA Spec and Neucleus.

The hunt continues!

Last edited:

gm_geek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed hundreds of those Neucleus kits. they are good. if you deside to call them, ask for Victor or Keith at Tech support. those guys are good and they will ansfer any of your questions
here is the link just FYI
http://www.aius.net/faq.asp

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went back to the factory radio got the dvd , xm cd player ...installed the Peripheral Electronics iSimple Apple® iPod™ Interface for Select GM Vehicles
Model: ISGM73.... it's been now a month no problems with sound or anything i ran the dvd player down to florida thats a 15 or so hour trip ... hope this helps