Just want to drop the rear to match the front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austexparts

Reaction score
Sup everyone. Ive got an 02' Tahoe 2wd that I want to even out. I like the stance in the front but the rear is too high. I'm goin to keep the stock wheels and tires. Im trying to keep it practical, as I have a Jeep Wrangler thats unpractical :) Would you guys recommend 2" rear drop or a 3" rear drop? Will I need shock extenders? Thanks

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I'd say probably 2", then if needed, you can adjust the front keys just enough to match the rear. I'd measure the height of the front of the truck and compare it to the rear to see which springs would be best. To keep the stock shocks' rebound and compression rates like they were meant to be, some shock extention brackets will help.

austexparts

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The front is exactly 2" lower than the rear. Is a set of 2 inch drop springs going to actually drop the rear 2 inches? I read a post earlier that said his 2" springs only dropped the vehichle 3/4". What is your experience with drop springs? Are they usually as advertised?

NJ04HOE

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The front is exactly 2" lower than the rear. Is a set of 2 inch drop springs going to actually drop the rear 2 inches? I read a post earlier that said his 2" springs only dropped the vehichle 3/4". What is your experience with drop springs? Are they usually as advertised?

I went thru the same thing when I first bought my 04 and I ended up finding a set of Hotchkis springs on ebay for $25. The springs made the front and the rear exactly level, I don't remember the model # but i'm sure you can find it online.

austexparts

Reaction score
I went thru the same thing when I first bought my 04 and I ended up finding a set of Hotchkis springs on ebay for $25. The springs made the front and the rear exactly level, I don't remember the model # but i'm sure you can find it online.

Were they a 2' or 3' drop? Thanks

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were they a 2' or 3' drop? Thanks

Haha a 2' or 3' drop is impossible, that would slam a plane.
I'm just BSing I knew what you were talking about and i know that a 2" rear coils would just about level my model Tahoe so I'd assume it would be the same for you and your model.

austexparts

Reaction score
Damn shift key hehe...I guess I'lll drop the rear 3 inches and then adjust the front keys. Thanks for the input bro.

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about bump stops? If you do a 2" drop and tweak the front to match, do you need to trim the bump stops? In my case, there would be no off roading going on.

marijuano

Reaction score
I have Eibach 2" rear coils put on my truck and there was a noticable difference...I am planning on getting a 2/3 drop, just waiting on the skrills..

1st pic is stock height - 2nd pic is with the new coils..

Attachments

• street profile size test.jpg
    street profile size test.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Picture 0016_new size.jpg
    Picture 0016_new size.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 39

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use the stock shocks, if so, maybe you needed shock extenders? Thats the only reason I can think of...
I do not have shock extenders, but I do not have autoride. I have the large black shock that is premium ride I believe. Would they keep the back end up?
Where can I find 2" shock extenders? Would 3" be OK?

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 3" Eibachs on my Tahoe.

IMG_0830.jpg

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really think the shock is actually keeping the back end up? Like I said, these are not airshocks, but are gas pressurized.
$60 for a couple of brackets and bolts for an extension,or if I could a get a pair of dropped shocks for around $120, might that make more sense? Mine are 4 years old with 50K and seem to be ok, but would it be a good time to change them? I found ground force makes a 2" drop shock, would this be as good as my "premium"?

Mark

Reaction score
I have Eibach 2" rear coils put on my truck and there was a noticable difference...I am planning on getting a 2/3 drop, just waiting on the skrills..

1st pic is stock height - 2nd pic is with the new coils..

Do you have the shock brackets on yours?

I tried just installing my 3'' DJM coils, but the rear was lower than the front. I guess I need those shock brackets.

I've got 3" Eibachs on my Tahoe.

IMG_0830.jpg

Looks good. You use the shock extenders as well?

What size tires?

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the question right now is: If you do not have autoride, do shock extenders have any impact on the ride height, or do they merely put the shock in the right range of its travel?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I guess the question right now is: If you do not have autoride, do shock extenders have any impact on the ride height, or do they merely put the shock in the right range of its travel?
Pressurized gas shocks don't affect the ride height; the springs do. The shocks only dampen the spring's compression and rebound forces. The shock extenders only put the stock shocks back into its effective range of travel.