so it finally happened.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, had some ******* try to break into my tahoe today, more on the later with pics and all that, gotta get back to work right now.

whats good alarm system? and what am i gonna be looking at price wise? i've always heard great things about viper alarms, and i'd just get the new low-jack they came out with but it only works if they steal the truck, not just break into it.

has to be able to alert me when its going off (one of those keychain things), being tampered with, etc etc. motion detectors, the whole nine yards.

Need something fast!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forget all that.

Just get some bumper stickers like "guns dont kill people I do" Or if you pull in front of me you die" or " keep honking im reloading" then put a gun rack in it. Trust me your truck wont be messed with again. O yea, Extra points for a german sheppard in the back. :thumbsup:LOL

no i have had great luck with viper in the past. Had a neat system on my k5 that if the alarm was sounded i could be up to 5000 feet away and the system would vibrate in my pocket like a cell phone. Also had an ignition disabler in it. So when ever your truck was locked and armed it would completly disable the ignition no matter what they did. Does not stop a break in but atleast stops a total loss. YOu will never make the money you have put in to it back, trust me, MY mustang was wrecked insted of stolen but a total loss is a total loss in the insurance companys eyes. Any way the mustang KBB at 6700, they gave me that and i said wait a min, what about the 5k in upgrades i did to it last month. They said OH, send us proof and we will work somthing out. Sent in every recept i had and got a whopping 500 extra. :cuss:

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
umm i have a hornet (made by viper) pretty old system, but works shweet. but only thing is it doesnt have that remote thing your talking about.. i wish it did.. isaw some new security system out there that was badass. it had like a real slim sleek looking remote with that feature and everything.. i forgot what its called tho

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/viper5900respondersstvs5900.aspx

anyone ever hear of these guys? it looks legit, but then again that is listed like $400 under what its listed for on the viper web site ($599)

anyone ever have the Viper 5900 system? (sucks it has to be that expensive!)

but yeah, the guy pulled up next to my truck in the employee parking lot and from what i can gather tried to "pop" the glass out in the bottom right corner. not sure if he was trying to break it or what. dumb way to try to do it if you ask me but whatever, he used a crowbar, messed up the plastic on the side of the window glass itself, the weather stripping the window slides in, put a nice scratch in the middle of the window, and tore the **** out of the metal beside the window. of course it had to be a couple weeks before i go to put full coverage on it. it doesn't look that bad, but its gonna take a bunch of work to get it fixed again.

Luckily a guy i work with was out there on lunch and scared the guy off. to bad he didn't get the damn plate number. waited for the cops to show up for over an hour to do nothing but say that sucks, thats a nice truck and write a couple notes in a note book... after that experience i have no faith in them being there when you really need them....

as much as i hate to say it it looks like someone random scoped it and then came back, as i cant seem to think of anyone that matches the description of the guy or that drive a mid 90's black durango that isn't taken care of.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my autopage. its basically the main alarm we use in everyones cars. they always work great n i've never had any problems.

or if u want a cheap fix, go ricer and just get one of those bs scanner lights. it definitely makes the theives think twice.

and with the alarm, dont forget to make sure you get a backup battery and an interior siren. they interior siren works wonders... and if you ever get the chance to lock someone in your car..... well, you get my point. lol

97 2door tahoe

Reaction score
id b watchin 4 anyone in a black durango, then beat some a$$ lol...liking the gun rack idea tho. and if u can get that system for $189 id do it, kinda seems fishy if u ask me

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah checked around a bit and the site is a rip off, people were complaining about never getting their items or getting a really cheap item instead of what they ordered.

im still trying to find someone local that can atleast order me a system, or install it if the price is right. best buy lists the 5900 but the guy said its nowhere in their system so they can't get it so the search continues.

i've had my eye out for the truck and the kid, but i haven't been able to find him yet.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can give you a local number around here that basically orders anything.. they got some really good sh*t if you want it, let me know..

tim@sp

Reaction score
I HATE THEIVES!!!!

I would find a local shop that carrys DEI products and have it installed there. Look into a system that can alert you through a text message or phone call that your Alarm is going off. 2 way units only go so far. If you are in a mall or shopping center... dont even think that it will alert you.
Do not go to best buy or any "Big box" store

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
problem is i can't carry my cell at work. (yeah yeah i know, complete bull****, but it'll get me fired if i get caught with it)

i have no local shops that do alarm installs. best buy is it.

DEI products?

tim@sp

Reaction score
DEI is Viper, Phython, Code alarm Ect. Best buy will do an OK job but IMO they suck!!! they have one way of installing them and that is it!!!
I had a guy from best buy come and work for me doing remote starts and he was terrible.
There has to be a stereo shop somewhere close!!!

I have a 2 way units on all my cars and they work great for close proximity... but as soon as you get in a building its a toss up if it will notify you or not.

Make sure they hook the horn up to your trucks horn and not that little siren that comes with the kit... Not very loud and they seem to go out often.

If you go to best buy... see what they sell. Most of them carry DEI units. That way you know they are at least comfortable with that unit.

Most units nowadays come with remote start... Get it!!! you will love it!!! The only bad thing is, If you have a wife or girlfreind... You will have to get her one too :(

Where in Indy are you. I can look up a dealer for you and make sure it gets done right. Your truck looks to nice to get hacked

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The Viper 5900 is a good unit. Same as the 791, but uses Spread Spectrum technology instead of the typical low frequency rf. In short, the range is roughly up to a mile compared to about 1/4 with the 791. I installed the 5900 in both my Tahoe and CTS and they work great. I added motion and glass sensors, and integrated both to the heated seats, defrost, and headlights. My truck is crazy loud; I hooked up the stock horn and added 15 sirens, so no one is going to stick around to finish the job if they decide to mess with it. Anything DEI is going to be good. The Clifford systems (which has been owned by DEI for a few years) are basically the same.
BTW, sorry to hear about your truck bro. Last time it happened to mine a few months ago, they tried to pry around the door frame and shattered the window, then ran off once all the 15 sirens sounded:D

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im actually in bloomington indiana. bout an hour south of indy.

the only other shop down here is shakespearience (sp?) and hell no.

i know most of this deals with the installers, but i've been hearing horror stories about alarms with remote starts screwing up after a couple years, and turning into nothin but headaches. like a few people ive talked to pulled the you'll be lucky if it works for a few years without screwing up. how much truth is there to them going bad in a few years?

so local installers? and how much should i expect to pay for the 5900 installed? and can it be programmed to send me a text if it goes off, along with the remote?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Reliability mainly depends on the installation (as long as you have a decent unit). If it's done with scotchlocks or t-taps, etc, then more than likely you'll have a problem with it after some time. I solder and heat shrink every connection, secure all harnesses and components, and have never had a return that had to do with the actual labor portion gone wrong. I installed a remote start in one of my dad's old truck a few years ago when he bought it new. He had the truck for about 9 yrs and sold it with the remote start system working just as good as it did when I first installed it. I have a lot of repeat, loyal customers. A lot of them have rs/alarm systems that I installed for them years ago that still perform without any problems. Once in a while you may have a transmitter or unit go bad, but rarely. I say 99% of remote start problems I deal with are from poor installations. If you don't have any specialized car a/v security shops nearby, then take it to a local Best Buy (Circuit City probably won't be around much longer, so don't go there or you may not have a warranty). But ask the installer how long they've been installing, how often they install remote starts, and how long they expect it to be. Also ask how they splice wires (connectors, solder, etc) and let them know you want everything soldered and secure. Some installers just throw the brain up in the dash with a single zip tie, which is crap. That body style truck is fairly simple and there isn't much in the way of screwing anything up when installing rs/security systems. A competent installer should be able to install a full blown remote start alarm system in your truck in less than an hour and half.
Expect the 5900 to run somewhere in the neighborhood of about $500-600 installed. It isn't able to send you a text, but it will alert you via your transmitter by either beeps or vibration (user option).

Last edited:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that list has to be outdated, the HH gregg thats listed claims they stopped being installers and dealers of car alarms awhile ago. best buy won't order anything other than the cheaper ones they stock. half of those places listed don't even have names listed?

anyone ever have one installed by zeibart?

has anyone seen the 5901 Viper has listed now?! they are calling $649 INSTALLED! gotta find a installer. going to get atleast one of the Electro-Luminescent Indicators, and do the kits not come with glass break sensors? i'd hate to have to buy 5 of them at $40 a pop.

guess the major question is if i buy other accessories later like the glass break sensors/ battery back up alarms, etc. are they just plug and play or am i going to have to take the truck back to the installers?

sorry i'm so alarm illiterate. i appreciate the help!!!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The 5901 is nice. Lets you know cabin temperature and how much run time is left.
None of the DEI systems will come with glass break sensors. All you need is one; it will provide coverage throughout the entire cabin if any one of the windows are shattered. Almost all the extra sensors, back up battery, el indicators, etc, will have to wired in, so you"ll need to take it back to the place of the original install. Most places will void their labor warranty if the installation is touched by anyone other than the place where the original install was performed.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok then stupid question. quick 101 on how the glass break sensor works? haha

so that just leaves the zeibart question. or are any of you guys anywhere close to indiana? haha

tim@sp

Reaction score
Listens for the sound of Breaking glass.

You need to make sure that the place that is going to install the alarm is comfortable with whatever unit you are going to buy... otherwise, you are in for a nightmare