Estimate for new sound system for 2008 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to replace the Bose system...need help!

I just don't like the Bose system...the highs and lows are really lacking and there is no "ooomph" to it. :(

I understand I will need to get a new amp if I am going to replace the speakers and sub, correct?

I want to keep the Navigaiton head unit and steering wheel controls.

I would like to keep total costs around $1500.

What would you recommend? (new amp, all speakers replaced, new sub) All hidden.

This will be in a Hybrid Tahoe.

Last edited:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to Gambler, he can help you I'm sure. Besides all new components, you will need all the necessary adapters to link all the controls, chimes, etc. Don't know which ones, but they are out there.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,

I got the Tahoe. :)

Now, I am working on the system and what I need to get.

I want to add:

Alpine PDX-5 amp - used to drive fronts and rears and sub. I was going to use the head unit (or maybe Bose amp?) to power the very back speakers that are behind the third row.

JL Stealthbox

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1562
Model number SB-GM-TAHOCNSL/10W1v2

hertz hsk165 - for fronts and rears

Not sure what to do about the very rear speakers (3rd row) - will I even notice them that much? I was going to just keep the Bose in those and drive them off the head unit or Bose amp if possible.

Now, the big question is, how will all this work with the Navigation and Onstar?

Will my rear DVD still work normal? I put the DVD in the front Navigation unit to play on the flip down screen on the second row.

I want to make sure they work like the way they are working now...

I understand I might need this adapter?

PAC AOEM-GM1416

What does it do and what do I hook up to it?

I will actually be hiring someone to install this for me.

If anyone know a quality bluetooth kit, let me know. I need to do that too.

Gambler, please help!!!!!!

I appreciate any recommendations you can give on speakers too. I am not sure what to buy....I have already bought the amp and am about to buy the stealthbox.

THANKS!

Last edited:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are on the right track. The JL Stealthbox is a good start, but will take a big chunk out of your budget. Since you are having it installed that is probably your best route, since anything custom will run up a big bill. You can do one of two things, you can replace all 4 door speakers, or just 2. I removed my rear door speakers and don't miss them one bit. That will allow you to get a cheaper amp and better front door speakers for your budget. IMHO it is much better to spend twice the amount on one really good set of speakers then 2 sets of cheaper speakers. The rears don't really help the sound stage and just complicate balancing; but if you aren't doing the balancing... The Alpine PDX amps are solid, but I don't know anything about those Hertz speakers. I have Alpine type-x components, they are just fine. The other speakers I considered were CDT speakers, you can look up the huge variety on woofersetc.com if you are interested. Just make sure to match the power of whatever you buy with your amp.

As long as you aren't changing your head unit, you can get by with the pac adapter you listed above. It just plugs into the back of the headunit inline with the existing plug, and everything you have should still work. If you decide to change the head unit you will need other adapters.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gambler,

I think I figured out most of what I need. I just hope the installer knows how to hook up the PAC adapter.

Question, will the chimes and auto muting of the system work just the same? I seem to have read somewhere that the chimes are a LOT louder after replacing the Bose amp. Just curious.

Also, any idea how much space for storage I will have leftover in the center console once the sub is installed?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure thing. Anybody can figure out how to hook up that PAC adapter it is very easy. The chimes are a lot louder, hopefully the installer can balance the gains so that the front isn't overly loud. I had to tinker with mine until they were at a more normal level. I am not positive, but I'm pretty sure the stealthbox leaves the storage compartment intact.