Install Side/Front Cameras using Lockpick (part 1)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikenewb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I finally installed my cameras on my 07 Tahoe for the GM Lockpick. I know several of you wanted to do this also but didn’t know where to start. I didn’t either, and probably made every mistake and wrong thing to do installing them, but I think this install procedure shows the easiest way (I found) to do it. I took some pics as I went along. I didn’t take any of me getting mad or frustrated or cussing or kicking the dog, (kidding! I wouldn’t kick my dog! It was the neighbors dog ;-) ) This is the cleaned up "G" rated version of the install. So here goes:

I think the very first thing that should be done before you even start is have your wife go out of town! Then she won’t come out of the house every 15 minutes asking "When are you going to be done?" When are you going to cut the grass?", and the very best one, "This better not void the warranty!!"

I installed the side cameras in the bottom section of the side mirrors. There is not any room in this mirror to install anything except where I put it. You have to put it exactly where I did or you will hit the metal pivot shaft that’s in there along with all the wiring. Also, this install is for the side mirrors that have heated power retract and turn signal in them. I don’t know about the mirrors that don’t have all that. Looking into the mirror, it’s on bottom closest to the window, about a quarter of an inch from the side and the bottom of the mirror.

pic1.jpg

The cameras I used were off Ebay. The URL’s are below. The nickel size mirror view were for the sides. (I would go ahead and get the 11/16 hole saw drill bit for it also).and the mini normal view

pic2.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-Angle-150D...32826QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com/Drill-Bit-11-16...14300QQihZ022QQcategoryZ50384QQcmdZViewItemQQ
_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini...262QQcategoryZ6755QQihZ005QQitemZ150199407744

After marking off where you need to cut your hole, attach a 11/16 hole saw bit to your drill and press very firm against the mirror so it won’t skip off where you want to start it. The mirror has a honeycomb like frame to it and you must drill through 3 metal walls to get to the wiring. With normal pressure, the hole saw cuts thru them fairly easy. After drilling out the first wall, take off your center starter hole drill bit and just use the hole saw part. After drilling through the second wall, this is where you need to start paying attention. Be careful on the 3rd. The wiring for the mirror is behind this one. Just drill a bit at a time, pulling out and checking the progress of the wall. Be ready to stop quickly once you break through that wall. Take your time , or you will make a lot of work for yourself splicing all those wires you cut into. 

pic3.jpg pic4.jpg

On the inside of the door where the mirror is mounted there is a black triangular cover that’s attached by 3 metal clips. Just get a screwdriver behind it and pop it off. This gives you access to the 3 nuts that hold on the mirror. I found that you need to take the mirror off because the wiring that is going thru the hole already is so tight, you can’t get the wires for the camera thru there! Taking the mirror off and running it through that way is a lot easier! Feed the wires thru the hole you drilled, angle it out to the same path as the wiring that was in there. It be a good idea to allow some extra slack in the wire next to the camera in case you need to pull it out to work on or replace it.

pic5.jpg

look for part 2 thread for finish

Last edited:

rjnkajun

Reaction score
Man great post! i am looking to do the same thing soon.. do you have new links? the urls are not workin anymore!

Mikenewb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cameras

Sorry, I No longer have the Tahoe or Id shoot you a clip.. Actually the camera showed very well at night. Most roads have steet lights so any small amout of light enhances it. I did buy from other venders, but found out about Kawa after I bought them and had the same cameras that were actually cheaper than the first ones I bought. I would have bought all of them from Kawa if I had known before. I had a problem with one of them after I installed it and they replaced it with no problem. So they are a company that can be trusted..Let me know how it turns out! I enjoyed mine!