Stereo install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rderosier

Reaction score
Im trying to install an alpine cd player in a 99 tahoe, but I ran into a problem, the ignition/switched power wire doesn't have any power when I turn the key on. I got the wiring harness from crutchfield so its the red wire, and behind the harness its not hot either. Could this be a relay or what? If so, which relay? No blown fuses either.
Thanks

96cherry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are two fuses for radio one says radio the other is radio batt check those

rderosier

Reaction score
Apparently it would sort of work, like the time would show and then go off, but it didn't work prior to the install. (Its not my truck, im trying to install it for someone)

Are both the fuses in the same location? I checked all the fuses inside the truck and none of them are blown.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe both fuses are in the interior box, not too sure tho. have you checked your wires with a meter to find out which wire doesnt have power? is it the constant or the switched? i would assume it would be the fuse. worst case scenario you could run your own power. it wouldnt be very difficult, and you could make it fit right in with the harness no prob.

rderosier

Reaction score
Its the switched power that doesn't have anything.
Hmm guess ill check the other fuse tomorrow. How would I run my own wire?
Thanks for all the help

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
i would run it off the ign harness if i had to do that. get some 12awg wire and connect one side to the brown wire in the ign harness that would be acc#2. make sure you add a fuse in the 12awg wire. then connect the other end to your red wire on the radio. TEST THE BROWN WIRE AT IGN HARNESS BEFORE TO TAP INTO IT!!