Contemplating something...need some advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory sound system in my 99 Tahoe sounds like it might be blown to me. I've never listened to a blown system, but its very unclean and un-crisp. The bass is terrible, I can't have the volume up past 50% with it ruining the sound quality totally.

So this is what I am contemplating. I have a Sony Xplod 15" enclosed sub, and a 750Watt amp, also a Aiwa headunit. Would having this stuff installed clean up the sound? Or are the actually speakers my problem. I don't know anything about car audio so I don't really know how to diagnose what is wrong with it.

What do you guys think?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changing the stock head unit should clean it up a bit if the speakers aren't blown.

you'll know if they are blown, both the 4x10's in the back of mine are blown and they sound HORRIBLE, they rattle all that good crap as well. lets put it this way, the stock speakers in my doors still sound very decent for stock speakers. if they are blown they will sound bad all the time.

the sub will give you better bass (for what a sony sub can do) and you can turn the bass down on the regular speakers.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what yours saying, it really wont help much. It sounds more like you need to replace the speakers. The HU and sup would help, but only after the fact of replacing the speakers..

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can help your sound. Use the your awia/or new head unit, add your sony/ other sub and amp, and buy 4 infinity reference speakers. 2 pcs of 6022I and 2pcs of 6022IS.

If your not an audio phile, you should sound awesome.

96cherry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solobarics Are Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!