check engine light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wnwelsh

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Can anyone please help me with this? I have had the infamous problem of the check engine light turning on over the past four years and it is driving me crazy. I have spent over $3,000 trying to fix the problem, but to no avail. It has to do with my 02 sensors and cataytic converters. The performance of my car is perfectly fine. I just want to turn it off. Does anyone know of how to do this? My year tahoe is a 97'

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you disconnected the battery for 5 minutes or so?
If your O2 sensors are bad they will keep throwing a code.

wnwelsh

Reaction score
problem fixed

I discovered that by removing some of the check engine light fuses for a couple of minutes would reset the codes. The light has not come on since.

Ed07z71

Reaction score
Reset Check engine light

Thanks to mightymouse's post I disconnected my battery (positive cable) for 10 minutes and it reset the check engine light. Not the right thing to do but I left my 07 tahoe running when I got fuel was the cause for the engine light to come on. Love this Tahoe Forum.com... Thanks

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck had the same problem plugged in scanner to the OBD II port and said bad o2 down stream oxygen sensor had the code removed with the scanner has not come on since 6 months ago guess it just needed a reset hasn't had any SES(service engine soon) lights since.

Andrew99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the codes scanned and cleared? My 99 does the same thing. I replaced the o2 sensor in which it says is bad and the same code pops up.

justimagination

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Same here, light will stay on for a while then all of a sudden it's off. Had it scanned C02 cleared, my service man said don't worry about it. BTW, it runs perfect. JMHO
david g.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the codes scanned and cleared? My 99 does the same thing. I replaced the o2 sensor in which it says is bad and the same code pops up.

Not sure if u were talking to me but no i have not had it scanned but then again the SES light has NEVER come on not even a flash so my guess is im all good truck still runs like new at 200K :happy160: