gas mileage stinks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Lee

Reaction score
My 2000 Tahoe (5.3 L, 4 WD) gets about 12 mpg around town. I think this is much lower than other comparable models. Any suggestions on where to look or what your experience has been.

diesel44

Reaction score
Try cleaning your Mass Air Meter. I went from 10 mpg back to 15 by just cleaning it with some Q-tips. Also it was dirty cause I over oiled my K&N filter.

Snap50

Reaction score
My 2001 window sticker claims 14/17 mpg.
Firguring in the BS factor, you might not be far off.

justplainjoe

Reaction score
I've got an '03 since new, no mods except for 20" wheels/tires with 5.3, 4X4 and I get 15 at best and I still try to get more.

meatpopsicle

Reaction score
It could be that you need new shocks. Also..it may be that you are too heavy on the gas pedal and you need to manage your rpm's and driving style a bit more conservatively. It may also help to change your route around town...too many traffic lights can affect fuel economy significantly.

Last edited:

mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 Tahoe (5.3 L, 4 WD) gets about 12 mpg around town. I think this is much lower than other comparable models. Any suggestions on where to look or what your experience has been.

Try cleaning your Mass Air Meter. I went from 10 mpg back to 15 by just cleaning it with some Q-tips. Also it was dirty cause I over oiled my K&N filter.

im not sure what the Mass air meter is. but you shoul try cleaning out you MAF. but you have to be very very very carful with this. DO NOT try to clean it with Q-tips!! you will regret it. get a bottle of CRC MAF cleaner this should do the trick. n while your at it. i would clean the TB. :thumbsup:

troyschultzvegas

Reaction score
What type of mileage are you hoping for with a beasty thing like that? Tahoe's are half truck half monsters.