Quick question on wiring my Tahoe Audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 96 Tahoe 2 Dr. I heard that just replacing the two front door speakers and the head unit was good enough in these trucks. And then just add an amp and sub to the back for "rear fill" ?

How does this sound. I never really notice not having my rear roof speakers in as it is now. So its ounds right. But just wondering your input. Im trying to keep the cost low with audio.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear speakers point at the floor as it is, i can still notice the difference if i turn the rears off.

i swapped my head unit and put a couple 12's in the back of mine, sounded much better. need to get around to replacing the 4x10's and the front components as i recently blew a couple after i took the subs back out.

most aftermarket head units will make the sound better by itself. a sub and better speakers will further the sound quality.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, but no. its all personal preference. i upgraded the roof mounts in my 4 door, and it made a hell of a difference in my opinion. if you have a 2 door i can only imagine it would help more.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I actually got a offer today to trade my Hoe for a 4 door, Check it out. Its a 97 with 108k. Mines a 96 with 170k. The truck was his gf's but she wants a 2 dr. Tell me waht you think, Thanks

Would you?

b7hqbr.jpg

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks ight.. got a caddy conversion going on? tails and front nose?? hmm. itd be something to think about.. list up some details of both of them.. . (interior options, performance mods, u know.. the 2 doors are a little harder to come i think.. 108thous miles on yours isnt that much..

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck specs are:
1996 Tahoe 4wd with 170,000 on chassis. Rebuilt Motor with 90,000
Power windows, Power locks, Manual seats. Heat/AC. No mods on my truck. Just basically stock. Cloth interior

His truck:

1997 Tahoe-108,000 miles 4WD
Caddy Conversion, Leather, Power seats, Locks, Power windows, Heat/AC Audio System,

shaved: taillights, door handles, roll pan, roof rack, escalade clip, painted house of color candy tangerine recently rebuilt trans

What ya think boys and girls. I ask you because i have no one to really look to for help in my family. My truck runs like a top engine wise with the rebuilt motor but, Still. Help me decide. Thanks alot!

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go for it, i like them lowhoes.. But do you have another car for winter (if you even have that season?). Idk, i wouldnt drive that truck in the winter, i think its to nice. With salt and everything you dont want it to rust any faster.. if yours is all stock like what you said with the rebuilt motor, id say DO it.. but thats MO .. good luck man...

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I dont have anything else for winter :( This will be a daily driver for me. I will throw some all seasons on it. And drive it. Do you have any ideas on what i should look for when the truck is running. \\?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
umm oil pressure is always a good gauge to look at. any ticking sounds. exhaust leaks (not major but may need attention too) . i think these trucks run about 150ish to 190ish in the temp range (correct me if im wrong). idk..

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eh i try, but id get a second word on everything i said.. just in case i missed something.. that tahoe looks sick btw..

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like its got a nice dent on the fender they painted over. i'd look it over inside and out and make sure everything is working perfectly. especially those door poppers. i'd also ask if hes got it wired up so you can jump it without opening the hood (when the batts dead the poppers won't work, which leaves you screwed)

make sure all the major work was done by someone who knows what they are doing and not just rigged. it may be worth having the truck inspeced by a mechanic if its going to be your daily driver.

trucks not bad, but with 60K less milage, and if everything checks out to be great on it, i would do it. not sure how it is whereyour at, but tahoe/yukons are a dime a dozen around here in every style.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that response 96pro, This is his response to my questions.

its a 97 tahoe with 108k mi it has shaved: taillights, door handles, roll pan, roof rack, escalade clip, painted house of color candy tangerine recently rebuilt trans. there are a couple of plastic interior things missing like the front floor sill pannels and one of the rear barn door pannels and my friend screwed up the wireing on the door poppers so i had to take them out and i havent had time to put them back in other then that its pretty nice i helped my friend build it and he had over $20k into it i bought it from him for my girl but she wants a 2dr now so im either gonna sell it or trade it

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how the hell do you get in it right now if it doesn't have the poppers and the door handles are gone? Rofl!. i don't want to diss anyones property, but the explanation makes it sound like it was halfway done, sold off instead of finishing it and now they are just trying to get rid of it.

what was he going to sell it for?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a back up way to the drivers door on cars with shaved handles (hopefully he did it), theres usually a cord in hidden places. you put it and it acts as a rod unlocking your car.. ask that to him,,