Need to lift my 97 tahoe any ideas???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mossyoakman827

Reaction score
I am looking to lift my 97 tahoe 6 inches it is a 4 door i know you get what you pay for but whats the cheapest but nicest way i could do so with out much body lift at all??

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard some good things about the Rough Country it cost about 1000. There are 2 different kinds of lift a knuckle lift and a full drop. the rough country is a knuckle lift. A good full drop would be something like Dick cepek but it cost more.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally i'd just drop the coin on a procomp kit. how much are you looking to spend?

98_hoe

Reaction score
i have a a 6inch rancho 9000 lift on my 98 4 door and i have had no problems and am very happy with it...but i honestly plan on upgrading to a 6 inch pro comp with 3 inch body

here is a pic of mine for reference:

Attachments

• SL381168.jpg
    SL381168.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 24

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Procomp, Dick Cepek / Extreme, and Rancho are all good kits. I would advise to go with a full drop kit. What are you going to do with the truck, this will help point you in the right direction. If it will be a street truck only a lighter duty kit will work, hard offroad you will need a really tough kit. I run a DC 6.5" full drop, I get 6.5" of lift with no crank on my torsion bars, the truck rides like stock. Plus if I ever want I can crank them up a little for another 1-1.5" lift

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A knuckle only drops the diff about 4.5" and then you would have to crank your torsion to get to the 6". And a full drop, drops the diff and everything a full 6" so that you dont have to crank the torsion bars to get the 6" of lift.

taurus1911

Reaction score
I've got my torsion bars cranked about 2inches up, this does put quite a bit of strain on them doesnt it? theoretically i could shatter them hitting pothole or good sized bump hard enough?

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No i would not worry about that happening. It can be kind hard on your balljoints.
EDIT: but they can break but it is rare

Last edited:

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you would be more likely to break a CV when you have it is 4 wheel drive

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A knuckle lift will also stick the front tires out farther than the rears

GPChief

Reaction score
i have a a 6inch rancho 9000 lift on my 98 4 door and i have had no problems and am very happy with it...but i honestly plan on upgrading to a 6 inch pro comp with 3 inch body

here is a pic of mine for reference:

Let me know when you plan on switching........I may buy your old lift for my 2000 yukon.

96fleetwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 6 inch Pro Comp lift on my '96. It actually rides pretty good. I just drove it 1,500 miles from south Florida to Chicago and it was pretty tame.

IMG_0276.jpg

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lifts start to ride stiffer when you crank the torsion bars more for more lift. I have dual shocks up front so mine is a litrle rough over small little bumps in the road, but all in all it rides great.

98_hoe

Reaction score
Let me know when you plan on switching........I may buy your old lift for my 2000 yukon.[/QUOTE]

yeah man ill let you when i do switch..hopefully it will be here soon most likely gonna be my winter project

mossyoakman827

Reaction score
hey been out of town thanks alot to all went with a pro-comp 6 ordered and on the way thanks again its been a huge help but new question could i tuck some 38s under it or would 35s be smarter

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll be doing tons of cutting to clear 38's with a 6" lift kit. most can barely fit them with a 9" lift...

if you wanted to fit 38's you should have went with the SFA swap and a leaf spring lift, new drive shafts, etc etc. (which i still kick myself in the ass for not doing... )

mossyoakman827

Reaction score
dang i was really hopeing for 38s but then again lift is ordered even with cut out finder and some bushwackers would it be possible? or would that look dumb?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its going to be disfunctional, you won't be able to turn it. just stick some 35's on it. or drop on a 3" Body lift, crank the bars a bit, and have another inch added to a custom rear spring pack.

going with that big of a tire you may want to rethink the transmission and the rear end, the rear end at the least. gear would also be a MUST.