Buying a Co. Tahoe......transmission problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zishan

Reaction score
Hey all,

Well, I'm new to the forum. I'm about to purchase a 96 Tahoe 4 door, from my company. It just sits in our Warehouse, so I asked the owner about it.

Anyways, I took it to lunch and ran some errands with it. I noticed accelerating from a dead stop, the transmission would jerk/slightly slip and then catch? It's very very minor, almost unnoticeable.

1. What could this be?
2. I'm thinking tranny rebuild...how much should I expect to pay for this?

Stats:
1996 Tahoe 4 door 2wd 196k miles for $1k

Thanks, :)
- Z

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the transmission fluid look like? It could be that a change of the fluid and filter in the transmission might keep it going.

Zishan

Reaction score
What does the transmission fluid look like? It could be that a change of the fluid and filter in the transmission might keep it going.

I actually didn't check any of the fluids. I went ahead and purchased it for $500 bucks yesterday. It's sitting in the warehouse still, I'll be taking it home today. I'll look everything over in more detail then.

It's going to need a little TLC. Carpets need to be shampooed, the passanger door handle is broken, and the windshield is cracked. Other than that, it is in really good shape. Oh, the drivers side seat is worn. It's going to make a great work truck! :D

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's drivable at all, it sound like a heck of a good deal. When you start fixing, I would change the fluids and filters right at the start. Maybe that's all you will need. FWIW, my transmission mechanic recommends against flushing a transmission - says he's seen too many of them fail after that. He says regular changing of the filter and fluid will keep them running just fine.

Good luck.

Zishan

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah, I agree, heck of a deal. I'm going to wash it and give it some love this weekend. I'll snap some pics next to my nsx.

I'll be stopping by the dealership to get an oil change and pick up some small parts(door handle, stereo buttons, floor mats, etc.)

Thanks again for all the advice,
- Z