I need some advice on a body lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never done anything like this, but I saw this and thought I might be able to handle it. Here's the link. My questions are -
  • Is this a good lift?
  • How hard would this be to install?
  • Would anything additional be required to do the install? (other than reasonably standard tools).

Thanks in advance.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy

easy to install but i would go to summits web page they have there own brand of body lift . from what i understand is a performance acc. in a different box and they are only like $130 bucks

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya

yep thats it i dont belive any of them come with rear bumper brackets but on my brothers we just re welded the factory ones looks great

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the kits of similar quality? Is there anything I should beware of when shopping for these? I have absolutely no use for a body lift whatsoever, but that's never stopped me from doing something before... :)

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no

not really i mean they are just plastic type pucks that go between the body and frame not sure how one could be any different from another. just a cheap way to get you some extra tire clearance without the cost of a suspension lift or the lose of ride quality

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The performance accessories and the summit body lift are the same the summit is just a reboxed performace accessories. I dont think that they make a rear bumper bracket for the tahoe.

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was looking around and that does seem to be the case. So here's another question -
If I don't have access to a welder, do I just have to cruise it around without a bumper until I can find someone who will do it for me? I mean, I can do that, but I was wondering if there was a workaround (that doesn't involve tape, bailing wire or bungie cords :) ).

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont have to take the rear bumper off to do it. It would just stay where it is now.

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is the best attitude I have ever seen!

Awesome.
:) Wish my wife felt the same way.

You dont have to take the rear bumper off to do it. It would just stay where it is now.

Will it look good or will it look goofy? I look goofy enough as it is, no sense adding more goofiness on top of it...

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It dont look that good but you could do like 97hoehere

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll just have a couple inch gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the tailgate/barn doors. you can put a filler strip in there, rubber, diamond plate, whatever, to cover the gap.

I remember reading somewhere they don't offer bumper brackets because it will cut your tow capacity way down if you were to use the bumper itself to mount the ball. and then you can get into the bumper height laws....

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll just have a couple inch gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the tailgate/barn doors. you can put a filler strip in there, rubber, diamond plate, whatever, to cover the gap.

I remember reading somewhere they don't offer bumper brackets because it will cut your tow capacity way down if you were to use the bumper itself to mount the ball. and then you can get into the bumper height laws....

Thanks for that info. The diamond plate would probably look pretty good. That might be a good option. My wife's uncle is coming over for Thanksgiving tomorrow so I'm going to ask him if he'd be willing to help me if I got it. If he says yes, then I'm going for it. If not, I'm still going for it; I'll just have to plan for it to be a month-long project while I figure out how to do it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I've always done my own work, but this is waaaay outside of the realm of things I've undertaken on a vehicle.
Should be fun!

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be able to pull up an instruction manual for whatever brand you plan on buying (or one in general will give you a lot of info on doing it) it shouldn't be a hard install, def. not a month long one anyway. IIRC theres something you have lengthen. shift linkage?

we pulled up and printed off some for all the major 6" suspension kits and chose the Pro-comp kit after looking through all the rest. (originally planned to put it on myself and it was the easiest, minimal cutting, no welding, etc.)

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was already checking them out. You have to lengthen the steering column, but everything else should stretch.
I was being sarcastic about it taking mee a month, but it definitely would take longer than the kit's time of "8-12 hours", I think...