center console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has built a custom center console in their tahoe. im thinking about building one for an 8 or something for some midbass and was lookin to see if anyone has done it of if this is gonna be a "try it n make it work" kinda thing. thanks

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been wondering the same thing although id really like to build one to house a 12" competition sub. since i obviously can't keep a box in the back of my truck with *******s trying to steal it. most wouldn't think to look for a sub between the front seats.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im building a custom center console right now as we speak actaully. Im not going to put a sub in it as to i dont have any money on my hand. Later down the road and can slip one in.. Its going to have a lid on it, and its just going to carry like all my sh*t i have laying aournd my truck. IE remotes, cellphones, pens, and **** like that on the top, then underneath of it is going to be a hidden door. so i can stash crap in it. I dont need to Ie on that one.. lol.. but ill make a new thread when i have some time.. Man this is hard Sh*t tho.. like making the curved edges around the dash, and the waves in the floor, and everything.. its realllly hard.. but i have fun while i do it..

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I'm prolly gonna spend a day glassing it up nice around the edges n junk. I'll have to pull it all apart when I get back into town. It'll gimme Somethin to do. Lol. That n build some custom fog lights. :D

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice.. SHoot me pics of your console.. bcuz ive made like 10 to 15 drawings and finally picked on out.. i want to see what you added in your console.. Are you putting and screens or sh*t in it??

lazyd

Reaction score
jl audio has the stealth boxes i think they fit 10's so it can be done!

Backon4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Therer is a box made to house 1 10" sub in the factory console. Look on ebay for a silverado console box.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, let me clarify.
I am NOT looking for a 10 or 12. i have 3 12s in the back in a custom box so i have plenty of the lows.
I'm looking more for custom self crafted build with *MAYBE* an 8 for some midbass, but i'll probably just do some 6.5 woofers and some tweeters.
at the same time i say custom because I'm looking to design it to have specific areas for my S*** that fills it. at the same time, maybe a nice little spot to put my 4-channel.
thanks for the replies, but I'm not lookin for a pre-fab.

Anvilair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, let me clarify.
I am NOT looking for a 10 or 12. i have 3 12s in the back in a custom box so i have plenty of the lows.
I'm looking more for custom self crafted build with *MAYBE* an 8 for some midbass, but i'll probably just do some 6.5 woofers and some tweeters.
at the same time i say custom because I'm looking to design it to have specific areas for my S*** that fills it. at the same time, maybe a nice little spot to put my 4-channel.
thanks for the replies, but I'm not lookin for a pre-fab.

I mounted Polk 6x9s in my center console, toward the front and low on the sides to keep them kinda hidden. I managed to keep most of the storage too. I have 2 tens under the rear seats so I did not want a sub, but the 2 6x9s sound great in the center.

I will post some pics as soon as I can.:thumbsup:

Anvilair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

It was not that tough but keep in mind you may loose the cupholders in the front of the console.

I took the the console out of the truck. Using the templates provided by Polk I placed the speakers as low and toward the front as possible otherwise they rub the seats.
I cut out the holes using a jig saw and mounted them in. If I had gone just a bit lower I think I could have kept the cup holders so you may want to take extra time measuring and deciding where to place them if you do this. The interior "storage bucket" is angled, just be careful where you mount the speakers so that you can retain that as well. I found there was more than enough room. If you mounted yours lower and a bit more forward than mine, they would be almost totally hidden and I doubt you would loose the cupholders too.

I used the rear roof speaker wires. I ran them under the carpet before I reinstlled the console. I then wired them opposite... meaning the speaker on the drivers side is actually wired into the right channel. I found it to image better and sound better in relation to the front door speakers. I now have no speakers in the rear roof, but I am only running an amp for the subs anyway.

My console is filthy and kinda beat, :eek: and thats why I decided to try it. I am super happy with the sound and it was an easy project. The console almost acts like a box, so the 6x9's have nice bass response but really throw the highs and mids too.

The black stuff you see on the console is just no slip matting. to keep keys and cell phones from sliding around.:)

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics but I wanted to get them up here asap for ya. :)

Attachments

• spe1.JPG
    spe1.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 30
  • spe2.JPG
    spe2.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 28
  • spe3.JPG
    spe3.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 25
  • spe4.JPG
    spe4.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, I got in the change up mode again. ended up on 2 tvs now. so we'll see what happens. i have all the materials in my garage. im just waiting to make sure i do what i want the first time..

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

It was not that tough but keep in mind you may loose the cupholders in the front of the console.

I took the the console out of the truck. Using the templates provided by Polk I placed the speakers as low and toward the front as possible otherwise they rub the seats.
I cut out the holes using a jig saw and mounted them in. If I had gone just a bit lower I think I could have kept the cup holders so you may want to take extra time measuring and deciding where to place them if you do this.

I used the rear roof speaker wires. I ran them under the carpet before I reinstlled the console. I then wired them opposite... meaning the speaker on the drivers side is actually wired into the left channel. I found it to image better and sound better in relation to the front door speakers. I now have no speakers in the rear roof, but I am only running an amp for the subs anyway.

My console is filthy and kinda beat, :eek: and thats why I decided to try it. I am super happy with the sound and it was an easy project. The console almost acts like a box, so the 6x9's have nice bass response but really throw the highs and mids too.

The black stuff you see on the console is just no slip matting. to keep keys and cell phones from sliding around.:)

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics but I wanted to get them up here asap for ya. :)

looks real good. me and that stock console just dont get along tho... lol

bayou_visions

Reaction score
Anvilair what type of material (non skid) is that on your console? Can you tell me where to buy it and how it attaches?

I recently installed a Kenwood Head Unit with the AUX input for my IPOD. I am looking to find a way to either mount a bracket or install something like this on the flip up tray (on the console) so my IPOD is not sliding around everywhere.

I also am looking for either an aftermarket or OEM part that replaces where my stand alone CD player was installed just below my AC controls - it is just a tray of sorts... If anyone has a link please post it.

I have considered using the space to mount a home fashioned bracket to hold the IPOD & my police scanner. I am a freelance photojournalist and use the scanner daily for work chasing down news stories.

Any ideas guys? :ktoe:

My idea was to build a metal insert that covers the hole but has an extension for a removable mounting bracket - painting it black to match the dash.

Anvilair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anvilair what type of material (non skid) is that on your console? Can you tell me where to buy it and how it attaches?

I recently installed a Kenwood Head Unit with the AUX input for my IPOD. I am looking to find a way to either mount a bracket or install something like this on the flip up tray (on the console) so my IPOD is not sliding around everywhere.

I also am looking for either an aftermarket or OEM part that replaces where my stand alone CD player was installed just below my AC controls - it is just a tray of sorts... If anyone has a link please post it.

I have considered using the space to mount a home fashioned bracket to hold the IPOD & my police scanner. I am a freelance photojournalist and use the scanner daily for work chasing down news stories.

Any ideas guys? :ktoe:

My idea was to build a metal insert that covers the hole but has an extension for a removable mounting bracket - painting it black to match the dash.

Ready to laugh??? :eek:

First off, here is the brackets I use for my Yukon to hold my cell and sometimes my IPOD.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8292527&type=product&id=1172880153564

As far as the cd tray goes, i bought a generic one at Autozone for like $6.00. Took a little trimming with a utility knife but it looks really clean.

Now, for the matting...... :crazy:

Walmart Kitchen Mat.... $2.00 for like 6 feet of the stuff.

Comes in a black roll and is rubbery and non skid. It keeps anything from sliding around at all. Cut to fit and secure with 3M clear double sided tape.
it is the only stuff I have found that keeps everything in place, even my IPOD when I have it just laying on the fold out not holder on the center console!

I am a dork... but the stuff works. I wasted $18 on the crap at the autoparts stores and this kitchen matting is just outstanding.
Once installed and cut to the right shape it looks pretty good too. :thumbsup: