Steering Intermediate Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anger4

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe with 45,000 miles I have had to have the Steering intermediate shaft replaced 4 times before 40,000 mile at 45 it needs it again I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem?

mfaile

Reaction score
Service, do not replace

The intermediate shaft requires to be greased, not replaced when this occurs. I had mine replaced once and re-greased twice at this point. Take it in, have them remove the shaft and fill it with grease. It will fix your problem. Re-greasing is necessary at different intervals depending on your driving and climate conditions.:D

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could trade it in for an '07! :p

karlj

Reaction score
Steering Shaft

I had to have the steering shaft greased as well on my 04. GM sells a kit to do this but it's kind of a joke. I was wondering if a local service tech. could install a grease nipple on the shaft someplace and make servicing it a bit easier.

kbsSUV

Reaction score
I actually just had my intermediate shaft replaced today on my 05 LS...we were hearing alot of popping noises in the front end so we called our dealer. They told us to bring it in so they could replace that shaft...said it hasn't been recalled yet, but they've had alot of the same problem and are simply replacing them as they come in. Supposedly this "new" shaft has been improved (dealer says within the last month) by replacing the aluminum yolks with steel ones and a new seal was added so not to leak any grease. Anyway, it might be worth checking into so you won't have the trouble of greasing the shaft every few thousand of miles. Hope this helps...