Improving Performance ?'s (handling, braking, steering)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zishan

Reaction score
Hey, I picked up a Tahoe and I'm looking to increase the performance a bit. Not speed, but steering, handling, and braking.

I'm a long time sports car driver, so the Tahoe is a drastic change, and understandably so. But, I was curious what I can do to make driving the Tahoe more fun that it is.

1. Steering, I noticed a lot of play in the steering wheel. Is there a way to tight this up? To make the steering more responsive?

2. Handling, I'm thinking Monroe shocks, a slight drop, and some 94-96 Impala SS wheels would help. Opinions/suggestions?

3. Braking, I noticed was very soft. Is there a way to tighten this up as well? I was thinking steel braided brake lines, and some performance pads? Opinion/suggestions?

Again, not trying to turn this into a sports car, I understand this is a different vehicle and not it's intention. Just trying to improve on some things. Thanks in advice for any, info, advice, suggestions.
- Z

HockeyHauler

Reaction score
I have read (not actually done tho) that on another webiste the add a leaf sway control for the rear leafs (the half length ones) improve the handling significantly from stock and are usually less than $40.00 to install.

As for the steering, you may want to take a look at your idler and pitman arms as mine were roaasted in mine.

I am waiting for a response on the suspension and brakes as well, my brakes are squishy, I am gonna flush the whole system here soon on it. I am looking at the Monroe rear shocks with the coil overs they are the Monroe model 58612, they look quite interesting, here is a link to the model:

http://www.monroe.com/products/mp_detail.asp?cat=Sensa-Trac&detail=Load Adjusting Shock Absorbers

excessive81

Reaction score
i am in the same boat. i got a 99 denali to tow my show and race car back and forth. i looking at the rear disc brake conversion and 2/3 drop for starters. the brake swap consits of brackets...85.00 ebay, s10 rear calipers...where ever 100.00 new on ebay and a set of 1500 4x4 rear rotors...source not found. so less then 300.00 to help rear brakes then go with a bigger front rotors to help the front.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Installing a new set of front end bushings will help alot, especially on an older vehicle. Some new polyurethane or graphite bushings in the control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends,etc. Look into changing your idler and pitman arms. Replacing those will take away a lot of the play and "squish" in the suspension and steering.
Adding lower, more progressive rate springs, new hi-perf shocks, and a set of sway bars will improve body roll and nose dive when braking. Lower sidewall tires will also help handling by reducing sidewall flex when cornering. Anytime you lower the cg of any vehicle, overall handling improves. So, the lower, the better, provided you have adequate suspension travel and ground clearance for your particular application.
The cheapest way to firm up the brakes is by replacing the rubber lines with stainless steel braided lines, replace the old brake fluid, make sure there is no air in the system, and upgrade the pads/shoes. You can step up even more by adding better calipers and bigger rotors.

98Tahoe17

Reaction score
mine had about and inch or two of play in the wheel, replaced the pitman arm, made it better but it didn't completely solve the problem. Put brand new bridgestone alenza's and 17" GM factory sierra wheels on, problem all gone. So I would say look into your pitman arm and a good set of tires.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any other updates on this topic?

My tow vehicle/driver is a 97 Yukon SLT, 2wd. I am in a similar position, going from an M3, and other various sports cars to a truck hasn't been enjoyable. I know that this is not a car, let alone a sports car, but I am definitely not content with it's current handling characteristics, esp. after driving newer trucks.

I keep reading to replace the idler arm and pitman arm, To rule out other 'wear items' I have on order new shocks front and rear, new control arm bushing sets. I wanted to get those parts on and new, then look into tightening the steering anyway possible. I'd also not wan to go to a large 'bling' wheel and low profile tires, and I understand the 'soft' side wall on a 75 series tire, but I am wondering if others have found better compromises, harder sidewalls on particular tires, etc.

Thanks in advance for any input.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my last post, I have used the Hypertech MaxEnergy power programmer, with success in throttle response and wider powerband.

I have replaced shocks front and rear, as well as installing these in the next few days:
yukon10.jpg

I am still despising the steering response, and the very 'loose/sloppy' feel in the steering.. I'm not familiar with the idler/pitman arm setup I'm reading and seeing, but I have yet to dive into any of that...

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bet u guys just need some new ball joints. its a major job so most tahoes purchased used need it done. u can get stiffer rancho shocks for the 4x4 to help the sway. also, using a 65 or 70 series tire instead of the 75 series will be noticeably more stiff. try cranking the torsion bars up about 1.5 turns this will stiffen up the front end. u can buy stiffer leaf springs for the rear which are easy to install and will help with towing, curves, holeshot, everything, even lift. for 2 wheel drive just get a bell tech drop kit and some new shocks perhaps 55 series tires or even 45 if u got a good eye for curbs and potholes.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there common replacement size(s) for the 235/75R15 if someone (me) doesn't care to go up in wheel size? a 255/55R15, or something similar?

I have since put on the rear air bags which (according to AirLift) doesn't allow to lower the front/rear, just by the design of bag size and bracket location. I think my 'squat' has gone, as well as replaced shocks all around.

My issue is looking for more responsive steering, either by tire size options, and/or replacement of Pitman and Idler arms to ensure no slop there.

JW- Which ball joints are you suggesting to replace?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another old post revisited... ;o)

When my pitman arm was bad... the wheel can be wobbled when lifted off the ground (on jacks). Now w/ all new ball joints, and urethane bushings, rancho shocks.. the steering feels great.. very responsive... and has good dead center feel... even w/ tall tires.

As for the orignal post... everyone all had great advice... I had similar expectations and needs too, and I was able to take some of these routes...
-Brake upgrades w/ steel braided lines and new fluid are much better than stock... safer!
-Nice shocks for a smooth controlled ride (Tokico shocks were closest to my factory Bilstein shocks. Edlbrock IAS had a strange rebound feel which made me car sick (!!?).. and my current adjustable Rancho 9000 shocks are awsome.. especially for the price. They can be firmed up quite a bit.. perfect for towing.. street.. and some off-road)
-I'm using a Hellwig rear sway bar (seems to be over 1" thick)... and it is awsome. It was one of my first suspension mods, and it's never comming off the truck. Made it very responsive, and corner a bit flatter too. Not excessive oversteer. Very responsive.
-Wider tires (more grip) and wider offset (aftermarket wheels... or wheel spacers) really make it corner flat... like a car! (along w/ 60 profile tires)